I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Did the Spiral Wrap Save My Finger??
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2005 09:01PM

Was out Saturday enjoying a day on the water trying to entice some lazy Fluke(Summer Flounder ).I have a bad habbit of palming the reel when it is in free spool(Penn 965 levelwind).Well a typical Jersey coast Bluefish hit the bait going away and got the old index finger betwen the side plate and the line guide.I had to torque the drag down to gain a little line to free the digit.I thought it was going to break it and honestly I think it would feel better now if it was broken.After the fact I was thinking about the chain of events and considered what would have happened if it were not a spiral wrapped rod.I lost my grip for a few seconds when the fish locked the finger down and the rod stayed stable.If it were to twist I thing it may have been worse.I guess you can add this as another advantage to having a spiral wrapped rod.And I woke up that morning figuring I wasn`t going to learn anything!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Did the Spiral Wrap Save My Finger??
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: June 26, 2005 09:36PM

Why, Fredd, why do we have to learn these things the hard way all of the time? I think that black cloud above my head moved east for a short time... LOL!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: June 26, 2005 10:39PM

At least you had a fish as an excuse. I was playing with a Daiwa Millionaire-Z 300 and let my left index finger reach around and as I was turning the handle like a feeling how smooth it was, smooshed the tip of my finger and felt like a idiot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2005 09:25AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2005 07:23AM

Uh, how big was the Bluefish, and how was teh FLuking? Where were you fishing? THey've been doing decent up in Raritan Bay this past week. Pool fish on the Highlands boats have been as big as 12#'s.

Posted by: Steven Purcell (---.jccbi.gov)
Date: June 27, 2005 11:23AM

Got my pinky finger behind the levelwind on a Penn 345GTI while fighting a large halibut. Lost the fingernail and had much pain for many days.

No more levelwinds on my ocean gear.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2005 06:07PM

Billy,The blue was about10 lbs..Put 8 fluke in the box between 2 people that were between 16.5 to 17.5 inches.Overall catch was 38(30 were throw backs).We fished the beach area between Long Branch and Asbury Park.Traffic was heavy.We tried a little further off in 65ft but the Spiney Dog Fish dominated the catch.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster