I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thanks a lot guys
Posted by: Josh Coney (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 03:48PM

Well guys I just can not take it anymore. I have been lurking around this site for a while, and I might explode if I do not build a rod soon. I just wanted to thank all of you guys for pretty much ending my life as I know it. I ordered Tom's book and can not wait for the next step. Any suggestions on what my next move should be? Looking forward to posting all of my newbie questions in the near future. Hopefully now I will not get as angry when my fishing trips get rained out. Just thought I would say hello, and I am excited about joining this forum. BTW I am located in Tampa and live for Gator football and inshore fishing(my fiance will not read this board, will she?). If Anybody around here has the patience to show a new guy the ropes, would sure love that. Have a great day everyone....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thanks a lot guys
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 03:54PM

Welcome!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.225.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 04:18PM

Check out MudHole. They are in your state. Give them a call and they will give you all the help you need.

Welcome Hooked another

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: June 23, 2005 04:43PM

Josh,

E-mail me your phone number to phil_richmond@hotmail.com. I'm in Tampa as well. No expert, been building for a few years, but still learn every day I'm at it.

If you want we can meet up one day and I can help you get started at least.

Phil

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 05:44PM

You're right about one thing! Your life as you now know it is pretty much over. Start saving now for the BIG SHOW in Charlotte in Feb. Starte by reading the FAQ's, Library and Glossary pages on this site

If you need any help. feel free to holler

Mike
mbarkley@wowway.com

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 06:03PM

Welcome. When you get Tom's book, and some thread, and some guides, spend some time doing thread wraps, first without a guide in place, then with, on an old blank. Do this a good number of times, without epoxying the wraps, remove and do it again. When you get the feel of it, then try epoxying a few wraps, especially if that old blank can be considered scrap. You will rapidly improve, you'll be surprised how quickly it comes, and you'll be glad you did all that before doing your first real build.

Posted by: Jimmy Ellis (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 06:25PM

Josh,
I want to be of some help to you as the guys on this forum will not tell you. They have got you HOOKED. Your life will never be the same. They do not put a warning label on this "Hobby" You will probably read in a few years "Rod builders agree to settlement-Have agreed to pay Millions to addicted rod builders." Just kidding Josh-This is a great hobby and you will enjoy it. The guys will help you with anything. By the way I am not the Jim Ellis from Decal connection.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.139.158.---)
Date: June 23, 2005 07:54PM

Welcome to the poor house. There's not a lot to eat, but the company is good.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster