I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about wrapping ferrule
Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 01:04PM

I've heard of various suggestions about wrapping the ferrule, on being that the wrap should be as long as twice the inside diameter. Someone else told me he wraps the entire length of the female side plus one inch, and then over wraps the ferrule end. On a two piece 11'6" surf rod, what will be secure without being overkill? I never heard of wrapping the entire ferrule. If I use a color approximating the blank color, and do it in size A regular thread using no CP, will it be enough support, while being largely invisible?

One other question, I'd like to do some test casting before I place the seat, grips, etc., yet I want to be sure I can still slide these components down the blank afterwards. What is the best way to support the ferrule sufficiently for these tests, and still not present a problem for passing the grips over it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about wrapping ferrule
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2005 02:47PM

Most good ferrules are internally reinforced and really don't need any additional reinforcement. However, most of us continue to do it anyway, and it's that female ferrule edge that we want to prevent from a split-out. So no matter how long you make it, it's the first little bit that counts the most.

Until I starting telling people that I generally wrap mine a distance equal to twice the diameter at the ferrule opening, I had never seen anyone else recommend that formula or anything like it. I tell you this so you'll know that it's somewhat arbitrary in nature - I chose it for consistency more than anything else. In most cases it's enough to do what the wrap is intended to do. So any more is overkill. But as far as the optimum length, I can't tell you. It's quite possible you could go shorter and still be fine.

When in doubt, ask the manufacturer. Or look at the finished rods by that same manufacturer and see how long their ferrule wraps are.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 04:00PM

Rich,
On our most of our production rods we keep the ferrule wraps at about 1/2". I haven't seen any failure due to the ferrule splitting in many years. On the rods I build personally the wraps never exceed 1/4" with many narrower on small fly or spinning rods.
Also, if you are putting the wrap on the female side of the ferrule there should be no obstruction putting on the cork or reel seat as you should have the section with the wrap off when assembling.

Todd

Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 04:16PM

Thanks for your answers, Tom and Todd. As it is a Rainshadow blank, I just spoke to Kerry at Batson, and like you said, Tom, they add a flag to the ferrule area to support it internally, Kerry said that technically, you don't even need to wrap it, but it's a good idea to do it just to protect the female side from getting banged up when the rod is in the disassembled state. I feel an awful lot better having heard it from the source.

Rich

Posted by: David Smith (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 24, 2005 12:25PM

Ferrule wraps = another place to prominently display thread art

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster