I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo fly rod free swinging guides
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: June 23, 2005 12:34PM

Co-worker was given two "old" fly rods, a Horton "Luckie" steel rod from the 30's and an old bamboo fly rod.

The unusual thing to me about the bamboo was the guides, they were simple "O" rings that swing freely, they looked like original equipment and not a repair. Does anyone have information on this type of set up? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo fly rod free swinging guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2005 02:34PM

You're looking at the traditional fly rod guide - the ring and clasp. Nearly all fly rods featured them at one time. They finally gave way to the modern (at that time) snake guide.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: June 23, 2005 03:04PM

I'd never heard of such a guide till now.

Phil

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: June 23, 2005 03:28PM

So basically the same concept as a strap and ring hookkeeper? I'd love to see a picture of this.

Mark

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2005 03:58PM

Yes, pretty much the same. I suspect after they had become somewhat obsolete as guides the remainder in stocks out and about were used as hookkeepers.

If you have never cast a rod with these guides, you should. They work better than you would expect, but are pretty noisy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.225.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 04:40PM

If the rings did not move --you have a single foot fly wire guide LOL

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 07:28PM

Thanks Tom, I'll pass the info to my co-worker.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 11:18PM

I recently found a rod maker in either Scottland or England that builds spey rods from greenheart and they use the traditional swinging guides that are mentioned here. I've also seen one or two cane float rods on @#$%& that had the guides mentioned above also.

Randy

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.148.9.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 10:43AM

As Tom has stated, these guides were the ones used by makers "back when" . Their common name is "flipring guides". As a matter of fact, Orvis used them on their Calcutta bamboo fly rods. Dates around 1880 to 1890's.. (according to my reference materials)

Tight lines

Art

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 10:55AM

Art
Your just showing your age LOL

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.147.23.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 01:39PM

I know - - - - - but I still like to put my two cents worth in.......

You should see what I wear for headgear just to wrap a guide these days !!!! Glasses and binocular magnifier glasses on top !!!! Can't wait til I get "older"..... ahahahahaha

Love this board... you can learn so much... and everyone so friendly and sharing to one another.... too bad the "real world" isn't more like the guys on this board ....

Have a great week end.

Art

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: June 24, 2005 08:07PM

I know what tou mean, Art. I'm still getting used to these tri-focals My eye doctor made me get this spring. Not LOL. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster