I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off topic--freshwater striper mortality rate
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: June 23, 2005 09:50AM

Two friends of mine have taken separate charter boat trips on Lake Texoma. Both were told that all striped bass must be kept because of the high mortality rate if released. This sounds totally bogus to me. The boat comes in when a limit for all anglers is taken. The fish are mainly taken on top by following the birds to the schooling fish and catching them on conventional tackle. My friends are solid types, so the facts are straight. Are stripers really this fragile?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off topic--freshwater striper mortality rate
Posted by: Ed Grella (---.cttel.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 10:00AM

Don, They are sometimes hard to revive after a long fight, but they are not a fragile fish at all. Ed

Posted by: lane cobb (---.ev1.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 10:18AM

I believe it has to do with the summer water temps. The guides do not make this stipulation in the winter.

The thrill is not in the kill

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 23, 2005 10:57AM

In most southern lakes where stripers are stocked, they get stressed in the summer. The surface water is often warmer than they prefer and the deeper water is often low in dissolved oxygen. So, higher summer mortality rates is the norm in southern climates. They can handle a Chesapeake summer okay (although the biggest ones head up the coast toward New England after spawning) but a Texas or South Carolina summer will put the hurtin' on 'em.

Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 11:24AM

Once the surface temp hits 80 degrees I will not target lake Stripers because they can and usually do die after release. I usually Trout fish or Striper fish below Dams where the water stays much cooler. When releasing a fish I use a Boga grip and lower the fish into the water while trolling moving it's head from side to side. The movement helps release the Lactic acid buildup and prevents the fish from locking up.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.an1.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 11:40AM

[www.dnr.state.md.us]

A good read on the topic. Includes some real mortality numbers at different temperatures, salinity, and hook types. I believe it was this study that showed how important it was to minimize the time a fish spends out of the water. In the heat of the summer, it only takes a few seconds of keeping a fish out of the water to kill it.

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 10:16PM

Don- there are several key factors that influence striped bass C&R mortality rates. They include water temperature, hooking location, fight time, handling by the angler, and salinity. In our studies on the Roanoke River, NC, C&R mortality rates were 6.2% at water temperatures below 72 degrees. Once water temperatures exceeded 72 degrees, mortality rates skyrocketed. Striped bass are, in fact, a cool water fish and are highly susceptible to lactic acidosis after a long fight. Mortality is frequently delayed by 12 to 24 hours after a long fight. Unfortunately, many anglers mistakenly think that because a striper swims away, he'll be healthly and no worse for wear. Controlled tank studies in NC and elsewhere have indicated otherwise.

Reservoir striped bass present their own set of problems. Those caught from reservoir where summertime "habitat squeeze" exists are already stressed. The squeeze occurs when striped bass have to choose between cool deep waters with little oxygen or upper level hot waters with more oxygen. Either habitat is suboptimal and body weight may be affected because prey fish are located somewhere in the water column that the stripers don't want to enter.

I've been a fisheries biologist in NC for 28 years and have spent 28 of those years studying striped bass. For what it's worth, here's my recommendations:

1. When water temperatures exceed 72 degrees, avoid targeting striped bass
2. If using live or cut bait, use circle hooks and bend the barbs down.
3. If using artificial lures with treble hooks, replace the treble hooks with single hooks and bend the barbs down.
4. Use tackle heavy enough to get the fish to the boat in short order- increased fight time increases the probability that the fish will die.
5 Wet your hands before handling a striper- it's mucous layer helps fend off infections
6 Minimize the amount of time the fish is out of the water- many anglers I know never even bring them out of the water.
7 If you really get into a school of stripers, make a concious decision to minimize the number of fish you'll catch & release before calling it a day- no matter how careful you are, some portion of the fish you catch & release will die.

Hope this info is of use.

Pete Kornrgay
Camden, NC

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: June 24, 2005 12:22PM

Thanks for the responses, especially the NC studies. I see now why the guides insist on keeping all the fish. I do use circle streamers, but it sounds like I should leave the fishies alone in the dead of summer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster