I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix SCV vs Shikari SHX?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: June 22, 2005 12:12PM

First, let me thank everyone whose advice was so useful on the rod I just finished. This was my second building project, and while I have far from mastered the craft, I believe there is a significant improvement in my skill (although I still have volumes to learn). Much of that is the results of tidbits I have gleaned from this board. Thanks to all.
Now, on to my next question: For my next project I want to build a 6'6" MH spinning rod. It will be used primarily for smallmouth fishing (from a canoe), throwing suspending jerkbaits (Husky Jerks, Pointers, Flash Minnows, etc.), cranks, medium-light jigs (1/4 oz), and some plastics. My first two rods were built on St. Croix blanks (an SCII and an SCIII), and I am reasonably pleased with how they perform. Logically, it would seem that I would also like an SCV rated at 3/16 to 5/8 oz. I have also heard from at least one rodbuilder how much he likes the Shikari blanks. The SHX models, PJ663 and the PB662, seem comparably priced to the SCV. Can anyone offer their thoughts on the merits of these blanks? I do not need to make a decision anytime soon (it's now time to fish, not build), but I thought I would start getting my ducks in a row now. Thanks.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix SCV vs Shikari SHX?
Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 22, 2005 02:30PM

Hunter

Why don't you consider one of the ST. Croix SCIV blanks. They are very sensitive and not much different in feel from the SCV blanks. The price is decent also. They are new this year and are very impressive. Check them out !

Good luck,

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 12:30AM

Hi Hunter,
I have built almost a dozen rods for clients using Shikari SHII blanks. Everyone has raved about their
new rods and are very happy. I used the P762, P764, and the MB704. This was my first experience
with Shikari blanks, I am looking forward to building on more of their products. I am also a big fan of
G. Loomis but they are a bit pricey but worth every penny! Good Luck!

Raymond

Posted by: Steve Day (---.micron.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 10:27AM

If you are throwing jerkbaits and crankbaits you might be better off with a slower action rod, something along the line of SHIII AC66MHM built as a spinning rod. The SCV and SCIV blanks are very nice, but the Fast actions are usually pretty fast. I also have a couple of Shikari PII blanks that I like a lot, but I haven't tried the SHX blanks yet.

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 12:56AM

As far as the Shikari SHX blanks go they feel awesome but I will tell you this!! They arent durable at all!!
I broke a SJ 602 using a soft pull set of a smallie a few weeks ago.........Contacted Shikari and they told me right out they are dealing with breakage issues with the SHX line................. So either drop down to the SH III SHikari or opt for the St Croix..............I totally agree with Bruce on the SC IV line but if your trying to keep weight down the exact blank in the SC III will weigh less due to whatever they are using to put that purple blue finish on the SC IV blanks.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 01:14PM

"As far as the Shikari SHX blanks go they feel awesome but I will tell you this!! They arent durable at all!! "

I watched one blow up yesterday on the cast. The fisherman did nothing but rare back and cast a tube bait as he'd did 1/2 the day so far.

Hunter,

We both fish rivers and .......

Sometimes I believe we over-rate sensitivity over durability. Sure being sensitive is great, but if you're afraid to throw it in the back of the truck and really USE it, then whats the use? I guess it depends on your style of fishing. If you are hard on equiptment and really USE your gear, you're most likely not a fisherman that NEEDS high sensitivity to detect bites, what you really need is a good sensitive rod that will hold up year after year to your "abuse" in general fishing and not have to worry about rod failure. The choice is surely yours, but for me, and my being hard on gear, I'd not go really "high end", you get a stiffer more brittle blank with high ends.

I am building my 1st St Croix IV and it is one beautiful blank and like Bruce said, very affordable. They are in the new Cobalt Blue color that I've came to like after wrapping one in UVA colors for a customer, it's sitting in CP stage right now. They are a fast blank, at least this one is, and they come with white lettering to go on if you wish-just FYI on the white on blue.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2005 01:58PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2005 01:22AM

I have lots of rods built on the Shikari SHX blanks, PSJ662, PMBs, PSBs, and PPs haven't broken any of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster