I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: First guide failure,,,,, CP?
Posted by: Jim Morris (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: June 23, 2005 07:52AM

I always use Flex Coat CP on all of my rods and mostly use single foot guides. I've yet to have a single guide loosen in the way described. From what I can figure, it is because I always tape the blank just beyond the thread before finishing with epoxy. Not only does that create a neat edge, it also enables you to 'force' some epoxy into the guide tunnel with the brush as the blank rotates past; you can also brush every wrap lengthways for levelling purposes and there's no mess because any slops peel straight off a few minutes later when the tape is removed (I only leave the tape on until I'm satisfied there are no fish eyes or dust specks in the finish etc). I figure the few extra minutes used taping up is saved by not having to individually poke epoxy into the tunnel of every guide foot. I'm also a big fan of CP for the very reason most people criticise it - rebuilding a rod is so much easier if everything isn't 'nailed' to the rod! Just my two cents worth. Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.18.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 08:23AM

Guide prep is very important ! As Tom said, the bottom of all the guides should be filed to fit the roundness of the blank. Also check the thread tension.
I know people frown on this but thin the first coat of whatever will help it to penitrate better. You will have to put several coats on to get the solids with it.
On single foot guides I put two turns of the Fohan locking wrap on plus several turns after in order to lock the guides in place. When my epoxy goes on it wraps itself around the upright post completely and forms a good seal.

Posted by: Shane Hall (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 03:01PM

Don, not sure if a "blocking wrap" is the same thing, but I like making "security wraps" on single foot guides too. They can help prevent the guide from moving as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2005 06:42PM by Shane Hall.

Posted by: Vincent Koon (203.106.120.---)
Date: June 24, 2005 06:24AM

Maybe your thread tension is not tight enough....

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster