I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Oh, no.......
Posted by: Steve Purcell (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 01:41PM

Maybe somneone else will learn from this:

I am building a Seeker 665 as a surprise gift for a friend. Rod is to be presented at a function Wednesday night. Start of the build was delayed a couple weeks waiting on the right reel seat (and you can't do much without a reel seat).

Got started Sunday and worked until well after midnight getting the butt wrap layed out and started (graduated blue chevrons-fish) and doing all the underwraps followed by a light coat of finish (underwraps). Home from work at 3:30pm yesterday and straight to work. Finished the butt wrap and all the guides, first coat of finish on the rod at 4:15 this am, then to bed (called to let work know I was sleeping in this morning).

Got up and stuck my head in the drying room: I had neglected to tape the rod butt into the drying motor. The taped gimbal is pretty big and the frictiongrip was tight on the drying lathe, but I know better. As the rod turned, the butt slowly walked out of the drying motor and the rod fell onto the 1"X6" taht the motor is mounted to shortly after I went to bed (judging by the sag).

The damage: Major sag the length of the rod. Two guide feet slipped onto felt support and embedded green fuzz in the finish. Fortunately, the rod did not fall to the ground (shedding yellow lab...horrors).

Recovery: I will spend the afternoon sanding off the damaged areas then apply coat number two (already razored off the worst of the sags while it is still soft...now waiting for it to firm up enough for sanding). I was looking at a half-day at work and a quick coat of finish, now I am going to spend the day getting back to where I was when I turned my brain off last night.

Lesson: (1) I make stupid mistakes when I have been at the bench 12+ hours with little sleep. My rush saved nothing. (2) With patience, even a disaster like this can be fixed. I know that the rod will be presentation quality by tomorrow night with just a little luck.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oh, no.......
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 02:14PM

Steve,
If you will go to Photos above and then to Equipment and then look at the chuck that Wylie Wiggens is using for his wrapper you will see an easy to make, inexpensive chuck that should keep you from having this problem again. It is simply an end cap for PVC pipe with a hose clamp holding a rubber membrane with a hole in it into which you push the butt of the rod. I have seven of these on drying motors that I use all of the time and have never had a rod fall out of one.
I think that this is a copy of one that Flex Coat makes and sells.

Posted by: Steve Purcell (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 02:49PM

Thanks, but in this case equipment was not the problem. This is not the first time I have had one come out. All it takes is a piece of masking tape from the butt to the outside of the foam filled PVC to give enough friction to securely hold the rod. I have used this set-up 100 times and the tape is 100%. My error was the same as if you put the butt in the chuck you described and neglected to tighten the chuck.

Work tired and in a hurry and errors happen. Luckily, FC is very forgiving. All damage is just surface stuff and the thread, etc, is all intact. Easily fixed with a little time/labor, not hours of stripping the rod and starting over.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: June 21, 2005 03:06PM

Emory - I had one of those - you pretty much need various sized holes as too big of a blank diameter & the rubber will split, no? If this true, or did I just have too thick a piece of rubber on mine? I use thumbscrews on a PVC cap, and wrap rubberbands around the screws in case they back off due to vibration &/or centricical force.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 03:21PM

Simple rubber bands do well for me :-)

DR

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: June 21, 2005 06:23PM

I use rubber bands, too. Work great; haven't had a 'spill' since I started using them. Even the masking tape failed me once.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 09:17PM

Water hose clamp works great for me, no more fear of loose chucks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.66.66.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 22, 2005 08:13AM

I use these. have had no problems. Costly but worth it. You don't even need the thin center piece that screws into the chuck. [www.cabelas.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster