I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread puller tool
Posted by: Andrew Dickinson (---.rev.o1.com)
Date: June 21, 2005 12:11AM

I've been using a handy little tool made by an orthodontist supply manufacturer that works great as a puller to finish off your wraps. The company is called Baker and the tool is a flossing aid for people with braces. These tools are made from a tough plastic and are already formed into a closed loop that is very easy to tie into the wrap with the last few revolutions before tying off. I think you can get them at your local drug store but I got mine from my orthodontist. Hope you guys can find some because these are some of the best little aids a rod builder( or flosser) can use!
Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread puller tool
Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 01:52AM

Andrew,

How about posting a picture of this tool on the photos page?

Posted by: Peter Lai (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 04:28AM

Sounds like a good idea. Best puller that I have found so far is Spectra. Super slick and super strong so it pulls smoothly and lasts forever!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 06:37AM

Teh only problem would be if the floss is waxed, it may leave residue in teh wrap as teh thread is pulled through. 10# Tuf Line is what I use, but I use a iece from a well used ection of the line which I clean with regular alcohol. Using fresh braid - a lot of them are coated, Power Pro is especially notirious for leaing a "film" when it is fresh out the box.

Posted by: Doug Cox (---.rtmc.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 07:21AM

I posted a photo of the dental floss threader....it's appears to be made of 4 # test mono...

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 21, 2005 07:38AM

Thanks for the tip, Andrew. My son's braces cost only $5,000 and not only does he have nice straight teeth but I've got lots of bags of 1/4" orthodontic rubber bands left over. What a bargain! These bands are outstanding for use in temporary guide placement and testing.

Pete Kornegay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.74.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 08:16AM

I just started using 4 LB test spider wire. Works great

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 10:29AM

I have been using these plastic loops for some time and I agree with Andrew that they work great. They are relative inexpensive, available at most drug stores in packages of about 25. Each one lasts me for 4 or 5 rods.
Billy, dental floss may well have wax on it but these loops designed to pull the dental floss through bridges do not have any wax on them.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (66.0.190.---)
Date: June 21, 2005 10:38AM

I have used these on my dental bridgework for years, and had the idea when I started building rods to use them for thread pulling. Only built one rod so far, but did many, many practice wraps, and the floss threader has worked great. The more you use one, the sharper the crease gets at the end of the loop, which makes it even easier to pull through. I guess it will eventually break, but so far I have pulled about 60 - 70 threads with one. I get them at a drug store or Wally world; about a dollar for 25.
Steve

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: June 21, 2005 12:13PM

I need a new set of spelling fingers, geez. Thanks Emory - I see the picture and recognize these very well, as I had something similar for my bridge. I was just making a point if people thought they could use certain materials, I figured I'd give them a heads up to pitfalls I ran into using them.

Posted by: Andrew Dickinson (---.rev.o1.com)
Date: June 21, 2005 01:58PM

Hey Guys! correction: The brand name is Butler and it is the Butler G-U-M Eez Thru Floss threader. I'm glad so many other people have found out about this handy little tool. If you don't already have some, pickup a pack soon!
Andrew

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: June 21, 2005 03:47PM

I've been using these for more than 10 years to thread bobbins for fly tying. I used to give a couple to each of my students when I taught fly tying. They're also handy for tying nail-knot trim bands.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 21, 2005 06:54PM

Got the idea off one of Emory's OLD post's. Bought some tried them and love 'em.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2005 03:12PM

I've been using Gudebrod "G-String" for years. One container lasts a lifetime. To make picking up the pull-thru material easier, I add a small bead onto the end of the loop. Not only is it easier to pick up off the work bench, it is a heck of alot easier to find!

2 cents,

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster