I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly guides, lightest
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.sunriver.cmc.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 01:43PM

What fly guides do you suggest? Like the ceramic insert type, no snake or guides without inserts. thanks for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly guides, lightest
Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 02:05PM

I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that you have as much weight in your finish and thread as you do in the guide. So I think you are better served with a single foot ceramic guide than a double foot wire style. I personally like the ceramic insert guides because I feel that they shoot line better (again, I have nothing to prove this besides my subjective experience) and hold the line off of the blank a bit as opposed to the snake style guides.

Actually...
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 04:00PM

Greg: Emory Harry's excellent article in the latest (V8/3) issue of Rodmaker has data suggesting that the weight of thread and epoxy is about 50% of the weight of the guide itself (short, single wraps of A thread on small guides).

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: June 20, 2005 04:12PM

I have been using American Tackle's Titan guides recently. My first reaction was when I picked up the package: it was noticably lighter than other packages with the same size and amount of guides. I'm all for anything that will not impede the rod's response, especially near the tip. They aren't cheap, but I think that good components are worth it. I'm thinking of trying Fuji's titanium/ceramic guides, but the price is significantly higher than American Tackle's product.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 04:13PM

I haven't got my issue yet. I can't wait to see the numbers. Does he have guide weight comparisons showing snake vs. ceramic vs. titans?

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 04:41PM

Greg: Emory's article isn't focussed on guide weights, he just needed some data on that aspect as part of a study on how extra weight affects the resonant frequency of rods. Still, there's more data there than I've most anywhere else.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.sunriver.cmc.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 05:42PM

Refering to single foot guides only.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 07:32PM

Bill,
I just went into my shop and measured the weight of some guides. This might help you.
The weight of a single footed #6 chrome fly guide was 0.20 grams.
The weight of a single footed #6 ceramic guide was 0.24 grams.
However, I think that this is misleading because the hole size in the single footed ceramic #6 is much smaller than the hole size of a #6 fly guide. It is necessary to go all the way up to a #10 ceramic to get a hole size that is about the same as a #6 fly guide. The #10 ceramic weighed 0.65 grams. So to get the same hole size in a ceramic as in a chrome fly guide it will be necessary to increase the weight by about a factor of 3.
The foot length on single footed ceramic is quite a bit longer as well so the thread and epoxy will also be heavier unless you choose to shorten the length of the foot of the single footed ceramic.
All of the guides that I measured were Forecast. You will probably find the weights to vary slightly from manufacturer.
By the way you can get a little digital reloading/jewelers scale on @#$%& for about $30.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster