I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finally school is out and have time to build a rod
Posted by: Greg, Rodzevik (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 01:17PM

I have been doing a lot of wading lately and fishing my home made jigs, problem is i have a 6' st. croix that is too long for the overhanging bushes and trees that i like to skip the jig into. I am looking to build a 5 foot light action rod( spinning) that had enough back bone to set the hook. Any suggestions on guides, cork lengths, ect. would be greatly appreciated. Since this will be my first rod looking to keep price around 50-60 dollars just in case i screw up i do not want to waste a lot of money and get discouraged. However i still want a nice light wieght rod that i can continue to fish with for years to come. Thanks a lot Greg,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finally school is out and have time to build a rod
Posted by: Greg Rodzevik (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 02:45PM

Ok i think i have selected my blank...
I want to get the 5'6" st croix sc2 i believe it is. It is 38 dollars which i believe is a fair price. Now i have a quick question i want just a straight cork grip in which i can tape my reel onto the handle. I guess the best way to go about this is to buy cork rings and make it the length i want. Now the rod has a Butt od of .37" and the rings i found come in 1/4 (.25") or 3/8(.375") which should i use. Should i buy the 1/4 and enlarge them or with the 3/8 have a tight enough fit to them. Also for the guides what size guides would you recommend for this rod and how many, most likely i will be going with the fuji hardloy BLVG. I think 6 plus tip would work nicely. Sorry for so many questions but i want to make sure i dont waste money on parts that will not suit my needs as i am on a limited budget. Thanks again

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:07PM

Because of the type questions you're asking here, I really think that the best thing you can do is spend $14 or so and buy yourself a copy of Rod Building Guide by Tom Kirkman. It would answer all your questions and give you all the information you need so that you can be sure of not "screwing up". Message boards like this one are great for filling in gaps or helping in a pinch, but for basic instruction you really need a good rod building book.

Date: June 20, 2005 03:21PM

I already have a copy of the book and have read through it many times.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:57PM

Select a fast action blank - tip oriented. You may be able to find the handle type you mention in a kit, St. Croix may even offer one. I would set up my guides per the instructions on the online library page here for the New Guide Concept System.

If you build your grip from rings, I'd probably get the 1/4 inch bore and ream or bore them out to fit. If you go larger, you may be okay but would probably have to shim the forward area on the blank a bit. A spiral wrap of wrapping thread in D might work.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: June 20, 2005 04:34PM

Jann's has a pre-fab Tennessee handle with graphite slip rings that should work great. 1/4 bore.

Posted by: Steven Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 04:40PM

Interesting! Greg, my favorite (Use it almost exclusively except when one of my adult boys has sneaked it away for an evening) small pond, lake, trout stream rod is my SC111, 5'6'', Fast action, Ultra light, 2 piece. I built a 10 1/2" "Tenneessee Cork Handle" for it and I tape my Cetus SB500 reel to it with thin strips of waterproof adhesive tape. ( Ive tried several ultra light reels and this is by far the nicest, not real expensive, smoothest, good drag, two spools small reel around)! I even stipped of my old guides last winter and put on new All American Titan guides in a Concept guide spacing manner. I use the 4 lb spool most of the time with Trilene XL. Casts like a charm and the drag is solid and consistent enough to handle bigger fish if you don't horse it. I re-sanded and finished the cork handle and put on three light coats of Birchwood Casey True Oil. Taping the handle can be a little tough on cork and the True Oil tips I got on this forum have been a blessing. I have only one spin rod left that I kept a true reel seat on. ( It is what my wife prefers) I really like the lightness and extra feel I get from all-cork handles. When you couple them with high grade graphite rods, quality reels and good line, you have a winning combination. That is why I would advise you to go up one step (for a lttle more money) and get the SC111 over the SC11. There is a difference and the additional money is just not that significant. I went with 5 guides this time. My stripper is a taller frame #20... then I went #12, #8 and two # 5's. Again, I only planned to use 4or 6lb test and I created the concept spacing specifically for that Cetus reel. I also figured out this winter how to do some nice feater in-lays. (thanks again to marvelous Forum help) The rod is handsome, so light, sensitive but smootly firm with a little backbone to it. I am going to Canada in a few weeks for some Walleye and Northern fishing. I'll put some Fluoralcarbon 6 lb P-line on one spool and 8 lb P-line on the other and use it much of the time for the walleye jigging. Very, very sensitive and lots of fun. Well, I've rambled a lot but as you can tell I am sold on this rod. If you want to know more about the distance on the guide spacing contact me. Good luck. Steve

Posted by: Greg rodzevik (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 11:26PM

Thanks a lot for all your help, found a handle that i like that st. croix makes. I really do not want to spend too much more money on a more expensive blank as of right now because this is going to be my first rod that I built. Thanks for the suggestions with the guides it has given me a good idea on what I want, i will most likely be using 6 pound test all the time but i am going with the L because it has more backbone which i need to set the hook.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2005 08:23AM

As far as hook setting goes, you may be surprised to learn that length, not power, is the key to getting a good hook set. It has to do with how much line you move, and how far, moreso than the amount of power you generate.

Date: June 21, 2005 12:19PM

Well i am limited to length because i want ot be able to fish in waders therefore i feel i need to go up in power to L.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster