I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

polishing reel seat hardware
Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 10:13AM

I'm trying to find a reasonable way to really gleam my nickel silver and anodized reel seat hardware for custom orders before I ship them off. I'm currently dabbling with different buffing wheels mounted on an old grinder. I bought a couple different jeweller's rouges and I'm trying to find the best setup.
Right now, I apply a medium buffing wheel with the rouge while it's spinning then touch the reel seat hardware to the rouged wheel, while spinning of course. Then I move the reel seat hardware to a clean, firm buffing wheel to buff off the rouge and hopefully get a good polish.
My results haven't been that good.
It's difficult to really clean and shine the threads.
It's hard to get all the rouge off.
What do you guys think I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for perspectives.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: polishing reel seat hardware
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2005 12:57PM

One thing you don't want to do, is buff through whatever might just be plated. You've got to be careful.

There are better buff compounds for metal than jewlers rouge. ZAM and some others might give you better results. A knife maker could probably steer you in the right direction.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 01:04PM

Josh,

Jewelers rouge should easily polish the Nickle Silver reel seats. The anodized ones might require a stainless buffing compound. You can get a set of 5 different types of buffing compounds at Sears.

Buffing compounds polish metal by removing the rough (microscopic) surface layer until the entire surface is polished. Keep in mind that microscopic particles of metal are removed, so it possible to wear thru the anodized coating or plating of the metal.

For purposes of illustration, imagine the surface is made-up of spherical particles, unevenly packed tightly next to one another. The polishing compound will tend to level the uneven surface by removing the particles above the main surface level. In doing so, polish will be imbedded and packed tightly in between the spherical surfaces. (i.e. in the pores of the metal)

To have a really polished look, requires that this embedded polishing compound be completely removed. This can be accomplished by thoroughly washing the part in warm water and detergent, then rinsing in clear warm water. Repeat this proceedure until all polishing compound residue is removed. Note: buffing the part, as you did with a clean buffing wheel, will not remove all of the imbedded polishing compound.

I went to your website and was very impressed with the High Quality rods that you build. It's evident that you are a true rod building artist.

John (aka: @#$%&)

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 02:03PM

I used to try to be a silversmith and I recall that the polishing compounds came in a variety of "grits," just like sandpaper. The red stuff is very aggressive. If you're going to use that stuff, you would need the stuff used for the final polish. You might go to Walmart and buy a small jar of Mother's Mag Polish, in the automotive department. It doesn't actually remove any metal, it removes whatever crud may be on the surface. I use it to polish the valves and valve casings in a couple of very expensive pro level trumpets and a fluegelhorn. It's not very expensive so you won't be out much if it doesn't work. It does a great job on gold, silver and brass.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2005 07:29PM

Come to think of it, I have used Simichrome polish on nickel silver parts and they absolutely gleam afterwards.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 22, 2005 09:27AM

John Mantele thanks for the compliment.
I appreciate the input.
I guess the secret is to wash after buffing.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster