I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about Clemens and Rodbuilding
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 02:17AM

Having only been wrapping rods for about 3-4 years or so now, I was wondering exactly how much Clemens going out of business hurt the rod building hobby/industry for those who were involved when Clemens was in its prime. I guess a better way of saying it is how much was lost when they went out?

I ask because they were the first place I ordered parts from, and I had their catalogue and ordered some grips I still love but can't get anymore. Shortly afterwards they went out of business and I still to this day see new things around that either Clemens carried or designed that you can't get anymore (latest being the flea flicker blanks). Kinda sad if you ask me. Like that white duck I accidentally ran over this morning. Can't change it, no sense on dwelling on it, but still kinda stinks.

On some of these items, why didn't anyone else take over selling them I wonder?

Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2005 08:43AM by Moderator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about Clemens and Rodbuilding
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2005 08:37AM

By the time they went out they were so many other rod building supply houses that not much was truely lost. Mud Hole (and others) offer most of the same specialty tools and there is a greater variety of rod building products on the market today than even during the heyday of companies like Clemens, Bullard, Simmons and Bingham (the latter two are still going strong). As someone who has been buying rod building products for going on 30 years, I can tell you that I have access to a lot more items now than at any time in the past. Obviously, some products come and go, but overall, there's plenty more out there these days. This truely is the golden age of rod building.

I do find it sad that old time, well established companies are having a much harder time staying around these days. But this all comes down to what to amounts to some very poor trade practices on the part of the rod building industry itself.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2005 08:43AM

Phil,
Like many things if I remember right, alot of the Clemens grips and stuff were on the way out already because it was all a custom product and the suppliers didn't want to mess with the small production quantities anymore.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (66.98.130.---)
Date: June 20, 2005 09:01AM

I think if you will get a copy of the Anglers Workshop catalog you will be amazed at the amount of product and tools within. I guess by the time I was actively involved in rod building Clemens was no longer a major player so I really did not miss anything. Anglers has always had most of what I needed.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 12:04PM

From an equipment and parts standpoint you will find there is always someone there to pic up the slack and keep the supply line going.

The sadness is the fact we as a community (of rodbuilders) are missing a forefather. He shared his ideas and helped put together conventions early in the game. I personally miss and respect all those who have gone before me and helped pave the way. Like all things in life things change and the old is replaced by the new but it doesnt necessarily mean we have to forget. His books are a proud part of my library and I still recommend them.

Posted by: Denny Venutolo (69.41.173.---)
Date: June 20, 2005 01:05PM

It started downhill the day Dale sold out and was no longer there. Within just a couple years it was not the Clemens that most of us knew. For me it's been gone for like 15 years at this point. I think Bullard went out about that same time or just before. But many new places have sprung up to fill the void.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 01:29PM

Thanks guys. I guess the Clemens I had dealt with wasn't the true Clemens place after all. It sounds like most of the items are indeed still around from other places, save a select few items.

I did order the Anglers Workshop catalogue and look forward to its arrival, thanks.

All in all, interesting thread to see how people felt about Dale Clemens overall. 15 years ago I was 12 and a custom rod was still a mysterious and wonderful thing to drool over at the local tackle shop - never did I think I'd be able to wrap my own. Thanks to places like this board, Mudhole and my favorite local shop, and to the owner of a place called "Fish Road" in Yokohama Japan, who sat me down, even with a bit of a language barrier, and walked me through wrapping my first two rods, rod-building has become as much of a hobby as catching fish. The satisfaction I get out of seeing a rod I built truly perform well under a big fish is awesome.

Phil

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:09PM

I really wonder how large they were at one time. I didn't start building rods until about 1998 or so and even then I never heard of Clemens until they were out of business. I had seen the book but didn't realize a place of business with the same name was around until people started talking about them closing. Guess I came into the game a bit late!!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: June 20, 2005 03:21PM

I knew about Clemens from buying Live Body from them to tie McMurry Ants - a coupel of years before thinking about building rods. I never heard of building rods, all I knew was Ugly Sticks don't break. After havin gthe catalouge sitting there collecting more dust than before I got it (lol), I read through the front section where they show you how easy it is to do. Bought a couple #4 per foot blanks, some guides - and XL Rods was born. Of course, next step was purchasing the Clemens books, from another defunct company which I could walk into & see & feel components, and actually see butt wraps & the entire process: Manhattan Custom Tackle.

The other company I ordered from, was Anglers Workshop. USed to but fly tying stuff from them, nobody I saw could compete with their prices on Flashabou or Krystal Flash, and I ended up ordering from them as well as Clemens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster