I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Premium Nano Titanium Quartz Blanks
Posted by: Mike Nicolle (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 05:48PM

Happy Fathers Day,
I'm just wondering if any of you have built and used any of the Nano blanks? If so, what's your opinion of them.
Thanks, Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Premium Nano Titanium Quartz Blanks
Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: June 19, 2005 06:05PM

I would tell you to buy something else. I've tried one and was not overly impressed. The St. Croix and Shikaris I've built are far better. The last Raishadow from Batson that I did was better than the Nano blank. Not that it was really bad, but I really dont' see what the thing offers that the other brands don't offer and twice as much of.

Posted by: John T. White (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 08:19PM

I'd have to agree. They're okay but nothing special.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 08:44PM

I was wondering the same question, I saw some on @#$%&. They look cool if nothing else, but don't fly fish enough to know anything about them.

Phil

Date: June 20, 2005 07:04PM

Thanks for the input. Don't think I'll be spending the money to find out.
Thanks, Mike

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: June 21, 2005 09:37AM

Those I have talked with in the salt water flyfishing community are VERY,VERY impressed with the performance these rods,but because they are designed for heavy salt water use,they won't appeal to the majority of freshwater anglers out there I don't think.

I have played around with a few factory models,and have a 9wt blank to build on myself.Here are my impressions of these blanks,

These,along with the Nano Ti and DFR,are top of the line rods made by Redington before Sage took over.Unlike the cheaper models(Wayfarer,DS2,Redfly,etc) that are made in Korea or somewhere,these blanks were made in New Zealand,by Composite Develpments and are definitely high end.The Nano Quartz and Nano Ti are VERY,VERY high modulous rods,with very fast actions.The Nano Ti retailed for around $700,while the Nano Quartz was a bit more I think.

Casting performance wise,the Nano Ti is fantastic for those who like a fast action,rather stiff,and fast recovery rod,but it had some serious problems with durability from what I heard.The high modulous was just too brittle I guess and it didn't seem to sell that well once word got out or get too many great online reviews from what I saw(for the past 5yrs I have been at home injured nad spend most of my days surfing the online fishing forums in North America,the UK,and Australia so I get to read a lot of feedback from guys on the various salt water fishing forums especially).The Nano Quartz on the other hand got a considerable amount of praise by some of the better known salt water anglers(quite a few post on Dan Blanton's website).

The Nano Quartz was basicly the same rod,but with the addition of a Quartz coating that boosts durability considerably.It definitely solved the breakage problem and was getting a great reputation as a really fast action,powerful rod that can take a beating.The down sides were increased weight(the quartz adds a good bit of weight to the blank,and maybe some extra stiffness too) and a very high cost(something that many in the US can't justify paying for a "overseas" rod).Being it is a salt water specialty rod,the weight increase isn't that much of an issue and is well worth the trade off for durability.

The quartz coating makes these blanks very unique looking.The blanks are unsanded spiral finish,with a bluish gray opaque look to it.Very different in both look and feel from most blanks for sure.The seats and guides on the factory rods are all REC models.The seat is a RFTS model in titanium finish with Redington name silk screened on to it and the guides are REC Recoils.About a month before getting my Nano Quartz blank I managed to get one of the Redington Nano Quartz REC reel seats for a steal,and I already had a nice Redington Nano Quartz tube from a deal last year,so grabbing the blank afterwards once I saw one cheap enough seemed like the right thing to do,LOL!

If you are looking for a salt water rod for fishing the flats,or from a boat,the Nano Quartz is a GREAT rod that will excel at the roughest salt water conditions and biggest fish you can throw at it.Basicly,it's a BEAST made for lifting BIG fish up from the depths(I read that the 10wt can dead lift a 35lbs weight off the floor),casting HEAVY heads.It's not a rod that I would choose for lighter freshwater applications though.There are many lighter,less expensive,and more enjoyable(more feel) rods to fish with if you don't actually "need" a bullit proof coating on your rod.Most conditions obviously don't require such a thing,so I wouldn't want a rod like this unless I was fishing in some nasty conditions(salmon/steelhead fishing maybe,and salt water angling).

Here is a link to a review of the 8wt Nano Quartz you may find interesting, [www.tackletour.com]

Basicly,the Nano Quartz is an exceptional casting and big fish fighting tool,but is only really suited to certain conditions.If you are using it in those conditions,chances are you will be EXTREMELY impressed with it's casting and lifting power,as well as it's durability,and the extra weight will feel like a minor issue,but if you are like most of us who fish more in freshwater,it's probably not the kind of rod you should be looking at unless you are say a salmon/steelhead fisherman and clamber around on 1/2 frozen river beds chasing BIG fish in moving water.The Nano Quartz' strange look,extra weight,and extremely high price are sure to turn off many anglers,especially those looking for a lighter medium to medium fast action freshwater rod or something.

You can't compare a rod like this to a Sage XP or Loomis GLX for example because they are VERY different rods and not made for the same conditions.The Nano Quartz is all about casting power(rather than feel or precision),lifting power,and extreme durability for a high modulous graphite rod,and is made specifically for tough salt water conditions.

Date: June 21, 2005 01:37PM

Thanks Tony,
I'll keep that in mind.
Mike

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 21, 2005 09:03PM

For the money and the weight, I'm not impressed. Have chartered a couple guys who had these rods and they were worn out by day's end. Not sure the Nano Quartz is for real or just another gimmick of the month by the good old fly fishing industry guys.

Posted by: Alexander Chunikhin (---.lipetsk.ru)
Date: June 22, 2005 02:52AM

I made a few spinning rods on high modulus blanks from Composite Developments NZ [www.cdrods.co.nz] .
I think, it is exellent blanks. Powerful and sensitive.

We have this blanks from New Zeland here, in Russia.
[www.fishing-shop.ru]
44msi and 57msi models.
Top series of CD-NZ spinning blanks is XLS (66msi)

In Holland CD-NZ blanks present too [www.cjw-hengels.nl]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster