I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

International Shipping
Posted by: Kit Harrison (---.consolidated.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 09:06AM

Not sure if this has been covered before, if so I apologize up front. I received an order for a custom rod from Italy. Well after days of communicating back and forth we finally got the details worked out and I went to work on the rod. Got the rod finished and went to the Post Office to have it shipped. Come to find out, you cannot ship anything into Italy that is over 79 inches long. So I had to go home and re-do the shipping tube. Just thought I would let everyone know, that before you ship into another country, you need to go to the USPS site, and look up that Country, and read all of the rules and laws about shipping into those countries. It will save you a lot of time and money. I never knew it would be so hard just to ship a rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: International Shipping
Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: June 19, 2005 09:09AM

Good point. I would think you would want to do this at the time you are dicussing the order with the customer. With shipping overseas being a major cost you'd want to have all the cards on the table before giving the customer a solid quote.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.9.69.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 09:39AM

My most recent experience in international shipping:

Got a handful of coins to be used as inlays, taped them down onto cardboard, went to the post office, threw them into a protective envelope, filled out the customs form, and was informed at the window that it is illegal to ship currency of any form outside of the US. Then the battle ax clerk charged me $1.60 for the envelope. UPS informed me of the same thing. Doesn't matter if it's a brick of C-notes or a buck's worth of change.

I know there are a couple of easy ways around this, but with my luck it would be opened by customs and I'd wind up in the slammer for 20 years on some obscure charge for mailing some nickles. (I have a face that says "Make an example out of me").

I'm waiting for responses from coin dealers etc to see how they do it/if they can serve as a middleman of sorts, but meanwhile, does anybody here have any knowledge on this?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 11:56AM

Dundee- The feds don't come into this part of the country, send 'em to me, I'll send 'em to Myles.

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2005 01:13AM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.147.254.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 04:08PM

England and some of the other countries overseas have even shorter restrictions.. some are 60" .

Art

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 10:44PM

Guys, I thought I better comment on this one as I have had plenty of experience importing from the States. I have found that anything over 7' is going to cost heaps to get into Australia. If I go up to 7' I then usually buy 3 or more blanks at a time to even out the costs. 6'6" is a lot cheaper so most of my Imported rods now make up these measurements. I recently bought a Loomis MB844 from Paul ERWIN in the states and he had a hard time organising freight. Regradless of the freight costs, while the Aussie dollar is up, I will continue to import to get the blanks I want. It still works out much cheaper than some of the "quality" blanks here in Aus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster