I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fishing in Hawaii? Kauai
Posted by: Travis Thompson (64.73.41.---)
Date: June 18, 2005 08:21PM

I posted once before about fishing in hawaii but I didnt know what Island I was going to. I will be in Kauai toward the end of august and would like to do some fishing of some sort. Any info or tips? Any captains that I should go with or avoid? What can I expect this time of year? Do they let you keep the fish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fishing in Hawaii? Kauai
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: June 18, 2005 08:56PM

I've not fished Kauai, only Oahu, although off the shore the concepts are the sam. If you don't make it out on a boat, the fishing from shore was good too. They have some of the biggest bonefish anywhere I know. I've caught several to five or six pounds and my friend caught a 12 pounder. Also caught hammerheads and a tiger there. The water is too deep to sight fish bonefish most places, a three way swivel and a piece of squid works wonders. They fish the bonefish off the beaches at night and deeper reefs during the day.

I've fished on the boats out of Oahu, but only a couple times and it was a long time ago, so can't help you much there.

Phil

Posted by: Andy Barela (69.146.135.---)
Date: June 18, 2005 10:51PM

I was just in Kauai in April and went deep sea fishing. I went with True Blue Charters, they were excellent and we caught some nice Mahi Mahi and Tuna. They were fairly inexpensive, they had a great boat the Kona Star and the captain was very nice. As for the do they let you keep the fish? It really depends on the charter/captain. All fish caught belong to the boat. However, they normally let you keep some of your fish or the whole thing. They will even fillet it up for you too.
Bring your sea sickness pills though, it gets pretty rough out there in the Pacific. It was an experience that I would love to do again.

Andy

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 12:17AM

I lived in Makakilo on Oahu for almost four years. It has been over ten years since I left the islands. It was paradise for a fisherman.

Offshore fishing can be quite good, but also enjoyed fishing for giant ulua' (jack trevalle) from the beach. It kinda fit the king rigging style of fishing I was accustomed to along the Virginia and North Carolina OBX piers. Or jigging for papio from rocky surf area.

On the several boats I went out on, including the boss's charter boat, all fish belong to the boat, but like Andy said, ask and more than likely you can get to keep some (if not all) of whatever you catch. I believe boats there have become accustomed to having first claims on fish just in case large tuna are caught, which they can immediately sell to fish wholesalers ashore for considerable sums of money.

Lou

Posted by: Travis Thompson (64.73.46.---)
Date: June 19, 2005 10:02AM

Thanks guys I may give True Blue a call. I know nothing about fishing the big waters or the fish so I would need a charter. Are there lobsters there? what are the rules on grabing one while snorkling? Like I said I've never seen blue water so everything is new to me. Do I need a license with a charter?

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 10:57AM

Travis,
I have never been to the Islands but I would like to some day. If you are going to do a masicism by fish kind of trip do the charters in the day light hours and the Ulua at night off the shores. I have done a couple fish till you drop kind of vacation things and although tiring they make for great memories. Bring some chem sticks, headlamp or flashlight for the Ulua at night.

Hope your trip goes well!

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 02:04PM

Wylie- You sound like me. Last time I was there I fished off the piers at Hickam AFB for three and a half days straight. I was hoping for moby dick tiger shark, and although that didn't happen, I did end up with a 5lb bonefish, 6'6" tiger shark, and a 7'6" scalloped hammerhead, all off the pier, plus some smaller stuff.

Fun, for sure.
Phil

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 02:06PM

Well that sounds like alot of fun but its my honey moon and I dont think she would like to spend an entire day fishing. Any more Info on Lobsters. I'd like to wrestle one or two. Is it legal? Nobody has an answer for me. I saw on T.V the other day where they went out in a boat a few miles and caught crabs by hand.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 02:12PM

I've snorkeled there quite a bit and saw a lot of small fish, but no lobsters. Also, wouldn't stick my hand into any holes, the morays there can be quite tepermental to that and very large.

Phil

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 03:16PM

Aloha Travis. Lobster season is closed on all islands from 00:00hours 01 May thru 23:59hours 31 August.
All other months are open season for lobster except for minimum sizes and none with eggs may be taken at any time. Do a "search" for Nic Barca's site, it's full of shorefishing information on the island of Kauai. Not sure where to find additional info on offshore fishing. Shorefishing is much more productive on Kauai than it is here on Oahu. Enjoy your honeymoon!

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 09:35PM

Thanks Mark that is what I was looking for. It figures that one of the things I wanted to do the most was closed. I guess I'll have to go back another time and try it. I'll take a look at that site as well. Thanks again everyone!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster