I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Charging Vendors?
Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 08:04PM

Hi all,
I am looking at some options as to expand my rod building and thought maybe there would be some builders suppling vendors that could answer a question I have had come to mind.

Do your vendors make advanced payments or percentage and balance on delivery type payment? I have always had the money sent to me up front and then delivered product as soon as the funds are in my account. As far as larger vendors I am sure this is customary but I haven't dealt with any large vendors as of yet.

Any help would be better then what I have to go on now.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Charging Vendors?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2005 08:14PM

Are you talking about builders who sell rods to resellers? Most custom builders are pretty small operators and I'd think they would have a hard time offering the fairly standard 30, 60 and even 90 day terms that the major jobbers usually offer to retailers.

I can tell you this - once you start dealing with the larger retailers, say somebody like Cabelas, they're not going to pay you up front. They will dictate the terms to you and you'll have to decide if you can live with them.

Date: June 18, 2005 08:54AM

Thanks for the reply Tom,
I had a feeling most of the builders here are doing business just as I have with money up front payments but on the off chance a few were going out to retailers I thought I would ask.

I have talked to some people about Cabela's and from what I understand they do have there own policies about shipping and many other things that have to be adhered to in order to do business through them.

I was mainly interested in more of the smaller mom and pop shops out there that some rod builder may cater to.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 11:35AM

Wylie,

This is totally a negotiated issue. At the end of the day it comes down to how badly do you wish to do business with somone and how much can you trust them. The only time I have ever heard of Retailers ever paying up front is when they are first starting out and are trying to get vendors to supply them. In the UK you would be lucky to lever 30 days sure plenty agree to that but few if any pay to thoses terms. As always in business it's a question of where the power is. But if you don't like it you don't have to go there.

I always think that payment term discussions give a pretty good insite into the type of business you potentially could be dealing with and vice versa.

Mike O.

Date: June 20, 2005 07:57PM

That sure sounds right Mike,
Most of the construction companies I have worked with in the past had to wait 90 days most of time and them the GCs would often over run the 90 days on the big jods just to earn the extra interest the money would get them at the bank.
I guess agreements have to be written and signed by both parties before shipment will ever be made from me. Retailers do have it tough starting out as I have seen them when I was a rep and the same holds true for the small time manufacturer as well.
At this point a would think the power is in the paperwork, Thanks Mike.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster