I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fish eyes
Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 05:55PM

Afternoon,

I was wondering what procedure you guys use to clean the blank and your hands before finishing. I got a terrible case of the fish-eyes on a casting rod i was finishing up last night. I washed my hands thoroughly, wiped 'em down with rubbing alcohol, and cleaned the blank with rubbing alcohol before applying finish. I've never had this problem before, so i'm not sure what i did wrong.

To correct the problem on the rod, should i lightly sand the affected areas and then put on another coat of finish? Is there something more effective?

Thanks for your help. Have a great weekend.

Carrington Tate

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fish eyes
Posted by: Ross van Enckevort (---.internode.on.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 06:05PM

Carrington,
Is the fish-eye problem on with your coating on your guide wraps? Or are you trying to coat the whole blank? If it is just on your bindings I would have a guess and say something has got on your wraps prior to applying your finish, which is causing the problem. Are you measuring yor finish with syringes? Have you cleaned them throughly? Something got on your hands. Aerosol was sprayed where you bind and you didn't know, settled on your wraps. There is so many variants possiable. Go back and trace yor procedure and see what could have caused the reaction.

Cheers,

Ross.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 06:56PM

Thanks Ross,

I put finish on a 7 inch butt wrap (simple diamonds), and also guide wraps. I also put finish over a st croix sticker, and that seems to be where the most trouble is occuring. I wiped it down atleast twice with the alcohol prior to applying finish. I guess i got something on my hands between cleaning and finishing. What is the best way to fix the current problem on the rod? Thanks for the help.

Carrington

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2005 07:37PM

You never want your last step in surface preparation to be a solvent wash or wipe. That can cause the very problems you're trying to prevent.

New blanks should be cleaned prior to beginning work. After the blank is cleaned, you shouldn't allow anything to come in contact with it that might cause problems later.

Now it's quite normal for finish to be repelled by a slick decal or label. For this reason you generally want to apply a coat of color preserver/sealer over the top of all decals and labels. That usually takes care of any fish eye or craftering problems there.

At this point I'd wash the finished areas with alcohol, then lightly sand or scuff with Scotchbrite. Do not wash again with alcohol or anything for that matter, after you've done your sanding/scuffing. If you're concerned about the sanding residue, knock it off with a clean brush.

Posted by: Steve Purcell (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 10:02PM

I had the occasional ugly fisheye, then I discovered that I was blowing tiny droplets of alcohol off my lamp when I blew it out after bursting bubbles. I am now more careful about which direction I am pointing when I blow out the lamp.

Tom - Of course, you have the brush thing figured out. I had to do it the hard way. Everything I tried to wipe the sanded rod down with either left lint or possible alcohol residue. Bought a fairly stiff 2" paint brush and use it just for "dusting" the rod before I apply finish.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.228.157.202.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 11:23PM

Thanks for the help, i guess i was my worst enemy on this one! Think i'll get a brush.

Carrington

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 05:21PM

I made the mistake one time of showing my niece the butt wraps on a rod I was building for her step dad....not good:( She must not have washed her hands since the last time she use hand creme or something like that. I had to put 4 coats of epoxy on before I could get things looking good.

I didn't realize at first what happened and just put another coat on and by that time there some serious craters sand and recoated 2 more times and it finally looked OK.

After that I and no one else touches the wraps or anyhere epoxy goes after wrapping. That and I make sure that I frequently wash my hands to remove all oils when wrapping. I know kinda anal but I don't want to go throught that again.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2005 08:52PM

Steve:

You may have just solved a mystery for me. I was getting fisheyes on my second coat on my last rod. Hadn't touched the blank since the coat before and couldn't figure it out. But I blow on my alcohol lamp to get the gentle heat to burst the bubbles vice direct flame, and probably did the same thing you mentioned.

I'll be darned. Learn something new every day on this site.

Thanks for sharing,
Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster