I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How are multi piece blanks made?
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 01:42PM

I never saw an explanation of how muti-piece blanks are made. I know about graphite and scrim prepeg fabric and that it is rolled onto a mandrel and then heated under pressure. That only explains the making of one contiguous hollow blank. Do the manufactureres make blanks of several diameters and tapers for the various sections? It seems like the only way possible to create the overlapping ferrule system. In that case a multi-piece blank would actuallly be a combination of several blanks. Am I close being correct? This is just one of those things that inexplicably piques my curiosity. Thanks to all who respond.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How are multi piece blanks made?
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: June 17, 2005 02:05PM

When I went through the St Croix factory, they just had seperate mandrels for each section of the blank. After it was all baked and such, each section went through a sanding process to the the blank to the correct size. I also believe there was an extra piece of the graphite and such in the area of the ferrule. During the sanding process, the blanks were measured with a digital laser micrometer to check the size.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 02:14PM

Thanks Mike.

I thought that was the way it would be done, but hearing from someone who witnessed the process gives me confidence to answer the question if ever asked. If I can ever get to visit a manufacturer I will jump at the chance.

Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2005 03:59PM

In most cases, each section is made individually and then the ferrules are hand fitted to join the sections. Most fishermen are under the impression that the rod starts as one-piece and is then cut into sections and ferrules installed or "glued on." Obviously, not the case.

Posted by: Brian Peck (---.putnaminv.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 04:04PM

Is that the case when internal ferrules(like Scott fly rods) are used as well? My impression was that these rods started as one piece and then were cut and the ferrules added. Just curious. Thanks, Brian

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2005 04:13PM

Actually, most of those types were also made in individual sections and the ferrules installed after the fact. Many companies don't have rolling tables long enough to do 9 and 10 foot one-piece rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster