I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread brands
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 10:29AM

Hello rod crafters. I was in the photo section last nite and saw a lot of thead colors. What brands are out there? I know about Rice and Gudebrod. Are there websites for these other thread companies? What is your favorite thread and where do you obtain it. Thanks Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread brands
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.block3.gvtc.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 10:54AM

One of the popular brands right now, especially for decorative work, is Madeira Polyneon. Do a search for Madeira and you should turn up several online vendors. What I haven't figured out is why none of the board sponsors have starting carrying it with the apparent popularity and increased color selection compared with the traditional rod building brands.

BRR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 17, 2005 03:06PM

Sulky metallics are awesome and available at many fabric stores, as is Madiera. I haven't used the non metallic but I know some do. I'm not sure which one though. A search on this site should give you plenty of info! Click on search and type in Madiera or Sulky above. Change the "Last 30 days" to last year or All

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2005 03:09PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.30.141.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 05:16PM

Another brand is robison-anton. Very comparable to Madeira. I use it because that's what my local sewing stores stock.

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: June 18, 2005 12:16AM

JUST CURIOUS
i read a post on here a while back talking about threads bought at sewing stores and someone said
to be careful about that because of what the thread might be coated with.
how do you know which threads will be safe to use.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 18, 2005 01:40AM

Never had a problem with any Sulky threads; I'm sure they're not coated. The Madeira threads seem like it's a real crapshoot. One spool isn't; the next is. I've got a couple of them that give me fits...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 18, 2005 03:13AM

CP will take care of any coatings since it seals the thread (and any coatings)

Mike

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2005 11:32PM

At the first rod building convention (The Big Show) in Charlotte I asked the owner of one of the largest rod building supply houses why he did not carry Madeira thread. HIs answer was that he would if he could sell smal;ler spoools for higher prices. It 's obviously not economical to sell 1100yds of Madeira thread for prices similar to 250yds. of Gudebrod. I appreciated his honesty. It is a business decision, and he has to make a profit. As a consumer I am free to buy the less expensive Madeira from other outlets. It leaves me wondering why Gudebrod nylon is so costly in comparison to Madeira Polyneon#40? Obviously the products are intrinsically different. But the price structure of Gudebrod is likely built more on "what the market will bear" than a direct result of the cost of production and marketing. So long as we want to pay the price for Gudebrod it wil remain the brand sold by the suppiers. If anyone can offer a factual basis for Gudebrod's pricing structure I am all ears. The product line is great but limited in color selection. My guess is that there is a very high profit margin in the sales of Gudebrod thread for both the manufacturer and the major sellers. Until I heard of Madeira I did not know there was a less expensive alternative. Frankly I use both and will continue to do so. Custom rod builders represent a tiny niche market for thread manufacturers. I am very grateful for the vast assortment of products available through the suppliers ot the craft. The cost of thread is still a small part of building a rod; even with the expensive brand. So this is not a big issue to me but still points to inequities among the choices out there.

I am reminded of the relationship between art supply dealers with the manufacturers of brushes and canvas and paint. The pricing is often decided by the manufacturers asking the dealers to suggest prices. The dealers can tell the manufacturers how much product they can sell at a certain price. The manufacturers are more than happy to work with the major dealers so long as they are able to move the desired volume. There are often many behind the scenes conversations and relationships that determine the pricing of products. Sales and marketing strategies can be as complex as any weave pattern you can imagine. The bottom line is still governed by supply and demand and the relative awareness of the consumer. This forum is our best ally for keeping rod builders aware of the latest sources and products of interest to us. We are ultimately responsible to make ourselves educated consumers. It is also a way for the suppliers to gauge our concerns and desires. What a great resource it is. Thank you Tom K.

Dave

Sorry for the soap

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2005 02:45AM

There is also National Brand thread. They have some "neon" colored threads. Only thing is I've seen only D sized thread and am not sure if A sized thread is available. Aloha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster