I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

She Did Not Mean It
Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 07:22PM

It was going to be a good rod; a very good rod. It was 8 feet long and a 6 wgt, designed primarily for night fishing on Michigan’s trout streams for those big night browns. It was built because last year, its worthy predecessor was shut in a car do and broke about 14 inches above the grip. It had some very good features including all single foot Alconite guides including the striping guide and a #8 SF tamer guide 4 inches behind the striping guide. It balanced nicely and the static testing set up from the beginning was nearly dead-on. It was the first rod that I had built using spatulas to coat the wrappings. It also was the rod that I forgot to put the winding check on but with a couple of layers of winding at Tom’s suggestion , looked just fine. It had not been to the river yet. I had put a 5 wgt on to do some test casting to see how it handled the slightly lighter weight forward line. Then the rains came down. It was quickly broken down and set against the table by the office door waiting for the rains to stop so the testing could resume. In the meantime, my wife had noticed that dirt had been tracked in the back door because the new small deck has not been installed yet. She brought the vacuum cleaner down to keep the dirt from tracking in on the new simulated wood floor. I was sitting at my desk about 12 feet away. The vacuum had only run less than 10 second when the sound of graphite slamming against the flooring and other indescribable noises filled the room. In a split second, I knew what had happened. The vacuum beater bar had grabbed the tapered leader and yanked it along with the fly line and the tip section of the rod into the beater bar. It is now clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that the tip section of a 2 piece fly rod will not enter the beater section of an upright vacuum cleaner without damage. In fact, the upper section was now 4 pieces and the 5 weight line was no longer usable.

It would have been a good rod; no, make that a very good rod. But I cannot be mad because I should have taken better care of my equipment. My main concern was for my wife who was simultaneously mad at herself and sorry for me, knowing how much work I had put into the rod. I couldn’t be mad because she certainly did not mean to do it and she means more to me than any fishing rod I might build. It’s okay. The rod is gone. There are parts that can be salvaged and put on a new one.

There are lessons to be learned about taking care of one’s equipment properly and understanding how fragile fly rods really are. There are also lessons on realizing that accidents do happen and remembering how much you love someone.

There is also the realization that this would have been a good rod; a very good rod. Maybe the next one will be just as good….and certainly taken better care of by the creator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: She Did Not Mean It
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2005 07:28PM

Hopefully the blank maker can replace just the tip section for you. Perhaps all is not lost.

Posted by: Trevor Burlingame (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 08:53PM

I feel your pain brother!

Last year I was working on a nice little 2 wt. I finished for the evening with only a final coat on the threads needed. When I returned from work the next day I found my new rod on the floor in a few pieces. After a few choice words I performed my own C.S.I. and discovered that my wife had been rearranging furniture upstairs, somehow vibrated my deer mount off the wall over my bench and crashed onto my nearly finished rod. Talk about freak accidents!

The butt section was snapped in two just above the cork. I called the manufacturer and they were able to match a new butt section for me. I had to pay the replacement cost since it wasn't a manufacturer's defect, but was well worth it to finish the rod I had been wanting for so long. Good luck!

By the way, my deer mount is no longer over my bench.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 09:47PM

Sucked a surfrod into a snowblower in a similar fashion ( first October snow, wind blew the rod down from leaning against the shed...snowblower ate the leader) amazingly the blank didn't break, lost two guides, refinished the blank, and rewrapped the two guides. ( it was a friends rod, and my boss..." well, It kind of got caught up in a snowblower") ..being my boss, I didn't get a raise that year!

Hope it works out for you.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: June 16, 2005 10:02AM

I feel your pain brothers!

You know somethin's up when your kids are too quiet!
My 2-year-old son thought it might be fun to sneak downstairs, into 'my area' and chase the cat with the tip section of a 2pc 7'6" 4wt RX7. Im sure you can picture the rest....
Tip caught the carpet, and the butt section ended up in his ribs. A quick snap probably kept us out of the ER.
Needless to say the cat wont go near the basement, I have one of those anti-kid doorknob covers for my workroom door, my son reminds me of his 'owie' whenever he sees blanks.....and we'll wait a few years until we try pole vaulting again.

RB

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: June 17, 2005 04:04AM

I had a power extension lead attached to my drying motor. Applied a nice coat of epoxy and then left the room. I have bird aviaries in the back yard so I commenced cleaning out the aviaries. About an hour or a bit later I can back inside and had a quick peek at the rod. The motor had stopped turning the rod. All the epoxy had run to the bottom and was a horrible sticky mess from the bottom of the rod to the track below. The cause, my wife had decided to vacum the car out and she needed the extension lead. It didn't matter to her that my rod was happilly turning away, she need to vacum. She honestly didn't even notice the rod turning and then blamed me for not telling her. As a result of this I now have a nearly finished shed with rod building room attached. It will be wife and child proof and of course have the beer fridge and Austar sport televion of flat screen. What more could a man want.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 18, 2005 01:43AM

...maybe a good friend to share it all with?? Hint, hint...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: June 18, 2005 07:58PM

Your welcome anytime Putter. I have a few prize winning home brews in the fridge just waiting to have the tops knocked off them. The more the merrier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster