I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying on a power wrapper
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 06:27PM

Is there a motor that can attach to the renzetti that would be appropriate to drive the head stock and chuck, but at slow enough speeds for drying? I'm assuming the 1/10hp or 1/15hp motors that you can get with the system cannot be stepped-slowed-down enough somehow? I'd like be able power wrap and dry on the same system.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying on a power wrapper
Posted by: Doug Cox (---.rtmc.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 06:38PM

There are directions in the Volume 7 - Issue 6 of Rodmaker magazine to add a drying motor to your Renzetti Rod Lathe.

Date: June 15, 2005 06:43PM

I shoulda figured its been covered in rod maker....thanks for the info....now to get v7-6 ordered and added to my growing stack of books and mags in the basement...time for a book case, and a bigger credit card tooo...i just hate the wait for these mags to come in thru the mail.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.152.27.84.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 16, 2005 03:24AM

On a renzetti or clemens lathe no need to mod anything.

Use a Flexcoat GM-18 (or the slower model) dryer motors and place it either ON the lathe bed, or next to the lathe bed adjacent to the lathe chuck. No need to attach it to anything - its stable enough. Adjust the rollers on the rod supports to level the rod, then apply finish. If you place dryer motor adjacent to lathe head reverse the placement of the roller wheel so that they stick out the back of the rod support vs. the front of the rod support and over the lathe bed.

Lou

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2005 08:25AM

The RodMaker article has a very nice set up for your lathe - easy to make and switching back and forth between the drying and wrapping/turning motors involves nothing more than swapping a belt. Nothing to knock over, nothing to adjust. Andy should offer this as standard equipment on his lathes. And, according to what he told me in Charlotte this past February, he may do so very soon.

Date: June 16, 2005 10:36AM

Thanks these are all great tips.
I like the idea of just changing belts from one motor to the other. I've ordered v7-6 to see how its done.
I'm thinking/guessing maybe another of the renzetti motor mount brackets (part no. MM3003), to mount the dryer motor on the other side of the stock from the finishing motor, might be needed to complete the project? If I could order the materials/supplies needed in parallel that would be cool,

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2005 03:50PM

You won't need that - the article shows how to mount it to the headstock. At most you'll need a short piece of flat aluminum stock, just a few inches long. The whole project shouldn't cost you over $25 including the motor and in the end it will look like a factory part.

Date: June 16, 2005 04:36PM

Ok, cool. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster