I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank for my 12 year old
Posted by: Pat Ryan (64.181.13.---)
Date: June 15, 2005 11:12AM

My 12 yo son and I had a deal, if he got straight A's on his last report card, we would build him a fly rod. he got a 3.85, (close enough in my book).

It will be his first rod. we fish mainly for trout on small to medium streams in WV. He really wants a multi-piece rod and I want him to have one with a medium to medium fast action (8-9ft). However, he is very hard on equipment and I don't want to break the bank on this rod (once he has the hang of it we will build him another rod). I was thinking a five weight would be a good place to start.

Does this sound like a good plan to start with?

what suggestions do you all have for blanks?

Thanks, Pat Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank for my 12 year old
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 12:42PM

We have what you need at great pricing in either Tiger Eye or Forecast 2003 blanks and kits.

Good Wraps
Neal Cissel
neal@nealsfishingtackle.com

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 12:48PM

For the sake of this, I'll assume this is his first fly rod. Based on that assumption, I would really recommend a moderate action because it's much easier to learn to cast and if it will be primarily used on smaller streams, I wouldn't go longer than 8'6". Take a look at the Forecast blanks. They have 8-8.5' blanks in both 4 and 5 piece models. They're very reasonably priced. I've built several Forecast blanks and they're just about unbeatable for the money.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.ca.dial-access.a)
Date: June 15, 2005 12:49PM

I really like my dan craft sig III 5 pc 4 wt. it won't break the bank but if you cast it and fish it you will want one for yourself. you can call dan craft direct or deal with rocky mountain. you will not be disappointed. this is quality stuff. as for 4 or five wt i would go with the four wt and upline it one
for up close and use the designted line for distance. trust me on this one. you will love it. the rod is 9' by the way but i think dan has some in a shorter length.

Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.1.---)
Date: June 15, 2005 01:11PM

8' 5wt Pac Bay Traditional or Rainforest, very smooth moderate - moderate/fast actions. Watch out for this one though, it feels so nice and smooth you won't want to give it up. It will make you smile all day.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.230.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 01:41PM

8 foot 4 weight, if you've got the small/medium streams in mind, although i'm not familiar with the right coast conditions but i hear it can be quite brushy along the banks. tiger eyes look very pretty (although the 9 foot 4/5 or 5/6 has an exceptionally large butt so finding a reel seat insert to fit is problematic). i've got a 7 foot 3/4 2 pc waiting to wrap. go for the 4 pc 3/4 weight. i fish small to medium sized streams for trout as well, mainly dry fly action.

forecast is less expensive and equally a good value. nice blue color too!

you're probably going to wrap more than one for him eventually, so don't sweat the first one ;-) go for a cap and ring reel seat, very nice (starting at $15). 2nd rod, go for the 5 wt.

if you want to spend the money, a dan craft, although more $$$ still a GREAT deal, would be most excellent. don;t you love your son??? :-) i'm going to wrap my daddy-o a satin black sig III 5 pc for 3 wt soon. he deserves the best! ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Pat Ryan (64.181.13.---)
Date: June 16, 2005 02:29PM

Thanks for all of the input. Eric, if everything I have read on this phorum about the dan craft blanks are true, and they cast as well as you all say they do, I just might give him my sage and keep the dan craft.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster