I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split Grip Sizes
Posted by: Ryan Rossiter (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 07:57PM

I'm thinking through the design of a split grip on a casting rod for myself. What are the typical dimensions that you use for the butt grip, the rear grip behind the seat, and the space between the cork grips. I realize that these are dependent on a persons hand. However, I'm very surprised to see just how small the butt cork is on many of the photos I see. I've never handled a split grip rod before, but I would have expected the butt cork to be at least the full length of a persons hand (~3.5-4") so that the second hand would not be touching the blank during a cast.

Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Grip Sizes
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 08:14PM

Its all personal preferance. I was using a lot of the preshaped EVA grips from Mudhole, like FG-3 and 4's along with the EB-3 butt grips. Something along those lines, I'm not sure if I got the numbers right.

Posted by: Ryan Rossiter (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 09:54PM

I plan to turn the cork myself so the length can be what ever I want it to be. However, I don't know what I would want it to be. It appears that on most grips I see, the bottom cork is not long enough for the entire hand to sit on. That just doesn't seem to me what would be the most comfortable. However, I've never used one. That is why I'm curious about the lengths people use.

Ryan

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (24.20.185.---)
Date: June 14, 2005 10:34PM

On bass rods it's typically 2 1/2 inch lengths, the cork being against the reelseat plus the corks length usually means I don't touch the blank. I do touch sometimes on the butt piece, but I don't find it uncomfortable as I usually don't grip there with the whole hand.

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 15, 2005 02:24AM

Spencer pretty much covered it but I have found that the overall length of the rear grip area can also dictate the length of the two pieces. Mine can vary from 2 1/4"-3" with 2 1/2" being the norm.

If I could add a little tip for you. A metal winding check at the end of each can really make the grip catch your eye..... Depending on wrap color I will use either the black anodized or the TiCH finish winding checks.(just something to think about)

Russ

Posted by: mike oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 06:22AM

Ryan

I build a stack of split grip surf rods both bait and spin to suit both conventional and spinning reels. Here is my two penny worth. Like you I feel that most rods out there have grips that are way too short. My view is what's the point in having a grip if your hand overlaps it onto the blank. It just is not doing then for me what it is designed to do. Give you a proper purchase onto the rod. Lets take a spinning rod first, my butt grip would be around 5inches to 6 inches long depending on the size of my customers hands. Mostly I find 5 inch is ok. I use the same length grip on the grip that butts up to the reel seat. OK it could be shorter as most of your hand is actually around the reel seat. The fore grips tend on most factory rods to be woefully short. I like mine again to be at least 4.5 to 5 inch long as even with spinning reels there can be times in a prolonged fight that you may wish to utalise the fore grip with the none reeling hand to reduce the effects of rod leverage.

It's practically the same for conventional. Here I believe it is even more important that the fore gip be around the 5 to 6 inch mark especially when bait fishing as the fore grip is used a lot when holding the rod when stood in the surf and of course when reeling in with a revovling spool reel.

It's pour rod don't let other designs you see put you off customising to suit you. It's what this sites all,about at the end of the day.

Tight Line s

Mike O.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: June 15, 2005 07:15AM

On my first split grip, I used around 2.5" at the reelseat and about the same on the butt end. The butt end is not a problem, as the split grip was mostly to take weight out of the handle, and I rarely use a second hand when casting this rod, which I use for crankbaits for bass. But I did find out I needed to make the length behind the reelseat longer for my hand. I know use at least 4" behind the reelseat and I have found most people I have made a rod for like that much as well. With the shorter length, I was finding part of my hand was right on the edge of the grip and ended up being very uncomfortable if I used the rod for any length of time.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: June 15, 2005 08:14AM

I am the same as Sleddon, except I do ALOT of two hand casting. But I also like a rear grip either 3.5-4" long. I usually make the butt grip 3" just to balance out the look of the rod.

Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 15, 2005 08:58AM

Ryan,

Sorry mate I just re-read your post. I was think ing spinning and surf as Casting Rods over here tend to mean surf sticks and high performance ones to boot. I just t wigged reading the other posts that you are talking about single hander crankbait type rod where the butt grip is not likely to get used. Maybe my suggestions may be of use if you ever get into bigger rods.

Tight Lines

Mike OLiver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster