I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

??? about top coats ?
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.90.82.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: June 14, 2005 07:39PM

Have been refurbishing an old rod for a fellow co-workers Dad.Have been follow others questions and replies on the board.Have preped it and painted it with plasti-kote.Has been curing for the past 72 hours. I'm not sure what top coat would be the best and the tuffest and long lasting.I really want to do this right the first time cause I don't want to be doing it over.So with that said,I need to know what you all use and how to apply it to the rod, and also how long do I have to let it cure before I can wrap the guides on.
Thanks in advance,and thanks to all you rod builders who are willing to help others who have problems.A big thanks and a big applaud to Tom Kirkman for this message board.<<<<Don AT HOBBY RODS >>>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ??? about top coats ?
Posted by: William Cunningham (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 07:51PM

I just did the same thing although with a different paint. I coated it with U-40 Perma Gloss. I used a foam brush with a small hole cut in it, soaked with the gloss. I ran it up then down the rod and left to sit for an hour. I then put on another coat, three in all. I had to wait about two days to wrap the guides, I tried earlier but the thread was biting into the finish.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 07:52PM

Plasti-kote also makes a spray on clear coat that works fine.
I've used it with no problems.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2005 07:52PM

I probably would have just tinted some Permagloss and done the coloring and top coating in one step. But, now that you have the Plasti-Cote on there, you have to start thinking about the added weight of that plus a top coat. Maybe it's the type rod where such a thing doesn't matter - you didn't mention if we were talking about a heavy boat rod or a light bass rod.

Do you really need a top coat? I haven't used the Plasti-Cote paint but I'll assume it's an enamel and would be reasonly tough in most situations. Permagloss would add a really hard top coat, but I'm not sure you really need it.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 08:24PM

I tried Permaglos with Plasti-kote and it melted my paint on a scrap test piece. I ended up using the clear glos Spar Varnish in a spray can and its a nice hard coat. Have yet to test it out though.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: June 15, 2005 10:32AM

You need to allow the paint to fully cure before applying Permagloss. The same thing will happen with DupliColor if I apply Permagloss too soon. I have 5 rebuilds I'm doing right now using DupliColor & Permagloss. I allowed the paint to sit for at least 3 days before my first top coat of clear. Permagloss will not 'melt' automotive type paints if used properly.

These are all heavy boat rods by the way. For smaller rods I would consider tinting the Permagloss with pigment.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster