I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 PC. Blank for 8 oz and bait??
Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 10:40AM

I was asked by a friend what a good two piece blank would be for 8 n Bait...................... He wants to be able to travel with it.
When it comes to surf blanks I shy away from 2 pc blanks(just a personal preference) so I didnt have an answer for him........

Any thoughts?

Preferably a graphite blank without too high of a price tag...

Thanks

Russ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 PC. Blank for 8 oz and bait??
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 12:01PM

Russ:

I had a customer ask the same question and here is the information that I found. There are quite a few one piece surf rods that will handle 8 and bait. There are only a few two piece rods with the same capability. Some of the best are made by Lamiglas, Graphite USA and Purglass. (There are others, too.) Lamiglas makes one and two piece surf rods in Washington state. Graphite USA and Purglas make one and two piece surf rods, but will make three piece rods on special order. With Graphite USA planning a move out of California, any special orders for them may be delayed quite a while. Purglass is a South African company with a very good product. It takes a special order to get a three piece rod, but it can be done through Mudhole. Try them on this. It is expensive and does take time to get, but should be worth both the wait and cost.

I just wish that other companies made at least one of their surf rods that would travel easily. I suspect that the major reason is that the stress of casting 8 ounces of weight plus bait limits the number, size and style of ferrules in use. Most US manufacturers use tip over butt. Purglass uses a spigot-style ferrule and claims that it provides the strength necessary for their conditions in South Africa - where they have to throw beyond the heavy surf line.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 01:01PM

I use two piece surf graphite blanks exclusivly (I live in NYC and All rods need to fit in the elevator)!
I sling 8'n bait with them all the time....NO PROBLEMS!
I use the Lamiglas GSB surf series (My favorite is a GSB1362MH rated 6-16).
I highly recommend any blank from this series BUT.......They are gonna cost you.
Actually-I have found that "GOOD" two piece surf blanks- cost much more than any of their
one piece counterparts.....If you find a good one for under $200 PLEASE let me know?!
Good Luck,
-eric

Posted by: Matthew Robinson (---.49.123.35.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 03:33PM

What lenth rod does he want? When You hear 8 'n' Bait you think mostly of the Outer Banks, (Hatteras) North Carolina. The Strong Currents and Far Out fish pretty much require 12' capable of handling 8-12oz of lead and a 2or 3 oz peice of bait. There is the all star 1508 and 1509, the lami-1502, or the rainshadow s in the same numbers (1502,08,09) The 1508-1509 are 2peice/one peice meaing the tip section is like 8or 9 foot and the butt is about 3'or4' . The 1509 is pretty much the rod most capable of throwing a cynder block, but is also a little tip heavy by most acounts, and hard to load with 6-8 for some. The 1508 is a little lighter still 2pc/1pc but more in the range of 6-10oz and bait. the Lami 1502 has an equal lenth tip and butt section. A little slower action and a little easier to load and cast than the 1509, but maybe not as much stored power. The Batson rainshadows are real nice, as well as the cascade. I am not sure about other lenths but I would chech out hatteras outfitters, web site as well as Giving hatteras Jack a call He is a good guy to deal with and can get some of the older blanks that are hard to find as well as any high end ziplex or conoflex rods. Run a search on this great rod building phorum or stripers online for more opinions.

Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.249.225.61.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 09:35PM

Well...

Loomis su1448, awesome 2pc 8^bait rod

Lamiglass has several, 1362, 1502,

Purglass 400-3, 400-4

Rainshadow 1508, 1509

All star had an awesome series...

Several friends have the Rainshadow 1509 great rod, too much for my surgically repaired shoulder., some have the purglass, same result.

The Lami 1362, or 1361 (1 piece same rod) are great rods, you cannot go wrong there either.

My preference is the Loomis 1448, the thing is soo light it is unreal. I gained 30+ yards going from Oceanmaster (Bass pro shelf brand) to the loomis...

Built my 1448 with alconites, fuji seat, underwrap / overwrap, and 9 guides. Average well over 110 yds with 8^bait... some casts, (when I hit it) are flat scary.

Good Luck !!

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 10:04PM

All-time favorite off my lathe was the Allstar 1509-2 for heavy payloads - the blank was a monster to load up and cast, but handled "8-n-bait" with ease. The lighter 1508-2 was also a favorite.

Yeah Tommy!!! My personal favorite heaver is a one piece lami, the 1362 - makes a beautiful rod. Light in weight, slow action (great for my beat up ol body), heavy payload rod. Have spanked may red drum on that rod. I have 2-3 spare blanks of this Lami blank in storage for later use should I need one....

Lou

Date: June 13, 2005 10:39PM

Thanks for the info guys...................He is currently using a factory Tica to get the job done?

I will do more investigating into the blanks you all mentioned...................

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 11:50PM

If he likes the Tica the Loomis is very similar. Tommy and Lou pretty much covered the bases.

Date: June 14, 2005 12:18AM

Just when you think you have things under control someone comes along looking for a rod that your not used to building..........................Thats why no matter how long you have been building or how many rods you have built there is always more to learn!!!!!

Are the Loomis surf blanks as crooked as the bass blanks? LOL......................

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster