I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

removing old reel seats
Posted by: john petrovsky (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 03:15AM

what is the best way to remove reel seats????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing old reel seats
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 06:33AM

If its headed for the circular filing cabnet then spiral cut it with a Dremel and peel it off.If you need to save it a dip in some boiling water may loosen it up.Use caution cutting not to hit the blank and wear you safety goggles(not glasses)those cut off wheels fly apart and I had one hit me under the glasses but not in the eye(just below it).

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 12:44PM

Assuming you are willing to destroy the reel seat as part of the removal process, I find that a pair of heavy metal cutting shears and a pair of pliers works pretty well most of the time. Nibble away with the shears until you can grab some metal with the pliers and then just sort of peel the metal away. You may need to start a cut with a hacksaw to get it going. Not really as hard to do as you might think.

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 12:28PM

John,

I use a junior hacksaw to remove most of my reel seats. I protect the blank either side of the seat with a few wraps of masking tape. I am assuming of course that you have already removed any grips. My first job is to slowly cut through the fixed hood, and remove by hand. You will find that often you do not have to go all the way through and then using long nosed pliers or Engineers pliers prise the hood off. The thinner the walled blank the more circumspect you need to be. The next step is to cut a long slow spiral again using the junior hacksaw right through the walls of the seat. By checking the ends of the reel seat you should be able to establish how much you have to play with by checking out the size of the arbors. You occasionally get a naughty where the seat has been glued directly to the blank and these are not much fun especially with thin walled blanks. If you are dealing with a graphite reel seat you can often get away with almost going through the wall of the seat and then using a pointed tool like a sharpend end of an 8 inch file, and pick off the seat. Metal seats will require just lots more care and need to be taken down much thinner before attempting the prise off. The residual expoxy I find quite often will just pick off using a thin blade. Watch out for eyes and use safty glasses here just in case. It is surprising how often the glue comes off without any bother and makes you wander what sort of water break free surface was there when the origional glue was slapped on.

Hope this helps

Tight Lines

Mike O.

Posted by: john petrovsky (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 04:40PM

Thanks guys i guess no one had any luck with a heat gun.

Thanks john

Posted by: Mike Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2005 07:32PM

I think you might damage the blank with a heat gun. Don't want to do that!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster