I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt cap ideas
Posted by: Dave White (---.rr1.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 05:59AM

I am trying to get a rod finished that I put a wood handle on and am having trouble finding a suitable idea for what to use as a butt cap.Any ideas out there.The handle is curly maple and walnut,with walnut being on butt cap end.I guess.I have foam and rubberized cork butt caps but don't feel this would do this rod justice.If all else fails I guess I can turn something on my lathe.Any input is appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt cap ideas
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2005 06:58AM

I like the look of old coins epoxied to the end. I've never done it.... I just like the look.

Posted by: Dave White (---.rr1.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 07:47AM

I thought about a 2005 coin,the year rod was built.Would I use finish epoxy to cover coin?how would I keep it from running all over the place?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 08:20AM

After you epoxy it if it's not too long you can masking tape it to a door in the house and than check and set it for level to ensure the epoxy stays level till it sets. On decorative shaped handles you may have to shim it level with a penny or something where it lays against the door.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.48.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 09:16AM

I have not do one yet, but I would think rod bond it to the end first. into a little indent. When dry, turn upward and then clear over.

Posted by: Rob Justin Hale (69.41.173.---)
Date: June 12, 2005 01:37PM

Right, Just drill a recess into the end of the walnut cap and insert the coin or whatever into it. You can pour in epoxy to fill and coat it. Just set the cap on end and the epoxy will level perfectly. When cured just mount it onto the end of the rod.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 12, 2005 08:10PM

I'm using pennies/dimes/nickels with the birth year of the angler for the rods I'm making for my family - you can get mint condition coins easily and inexpensively on @#$%&, even back to the 1930s. I put two or three coats of expoxy on the coin face first if I attach them (several ways) flush to the butt. If I inset them the epoxy is put on after the coin is in place.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.144.33.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 11:16AM

Sponsor "Golden Witch" on the left side - - - carries several NICKEL SILVER BUTT CAPS.... some of the other sponsors carry different metal butt caps as well, they have a little 1/4" shaft that you would epoxy into the wood, (after drilling the hole) and your good to go !!!!!!!

Tight lines,,,,,,,,,
Art

Posted by: Rick Wilson (---.bms.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 01:39PM

I have had good results using Nickle/ Silver rosettes from Tandy, a leather craft supply house. they are decorative, have a domed shape, and have a screw/stud attachment on the underside.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster