I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to wrap like this?
Posted by: William Cunningham (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 02:10PM

I really like how this rod is wrapped, is it called a swelled butt?

I was wondering if anyone could share the technique with me, do you just build up the thread, or is something under there?

..·`·. ><(((((º>
..·`·. ><(((((º>
..·`·. ><(((((º>
(saw this on another forum, to good to pass up)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to wrap like this?
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 07:06PM

No link. Can't see what your referring to... not that I know the answer.

Phil

Date: June 11, 2005 07:16PM

Sorry about that here it is:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Roger Williams (---.94.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 11:59PM

The picture isn't really all that clear. It has to be one of two things: 1) swelled butt built up in 5 min. epoxy amd then sanded to get it smooth and even or 2) the cork handle is sanded to a taper . Then the cork is inletted to make the thread even with the cork.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.coors.com)
Date: June 12, 2005 02:10AM

I agree with Roger on the tapered cork.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 07:29AM

To my eye the grip in the photo seems to be turned from wood. Even so, the same method of tapering would apply including taking a bit more off for the thread to fit perfectly. If, on the other hand, a ramp was built it could have been made with Rod Bond instead of 5 minute epoxy. Rod bond sands very nicely.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 10:17AM

William,the forgrip is wood and it is tapered down to the blank size.The transition area was coated with epoxy and feathered to allow for a smooth transition.This is actually a rod passed through the family for many years that I got my hands on before it hit the garbage.The intriging thing to me was the but wrap into handle thing that is why I refurbished it.I reciently picked up another one at a yard sale for $.50.The fat end of the taper is about 10/1000`s of an inch lower than the handle part to allow it to be smooth.The next one I may get a little fancier with.This one is pretty close to the original colors.And after that I saw one in my friends barn in the rafters.....

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.48.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 10:43AM

The only thing I can add is after the handle is tapered and you bond it to the blank. Take some remainder rod bond and place over where the transition to the blank is. After dry sand to shape.
I usually after shapping coat with a good coat of permagloss over where the thread will go. This is hard when dry and make a better hard surface to wrap the thread on. Better on cork wood should already be a hard surface.

Date: June 12, 2005 10:51AM

Great, thanks for all the advice. I may be trying this in the near future. Ordered a Grizzly hobby lathe and hope to try my hand at turning my own wood handles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster