I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Sealer and Reel Seats
Posted by: Aaron Mauck (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2005 01:29PM

Do most folks apply sealer to their finished cork grips? I did a test area and it seemed to slightlty darken the cork a bit. Does it really add that much protection and durability down the road?

How do people feel about fly reel seats in which the wood insert extends beyond the metal harware; those without a metal end cap? I can't decide if they are more elegant or just odd. Are there any weight concerns? Also, I am looking for creative alternatives to wood inserts. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Sealer and Reel Seats
Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 10:10AM

I seal cork with clear model airplane dope that you can get at any hobby shop. It will not darken cork and dries in less than ten minutes... Bob.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: June 12, 2005 12:16PM

Hello Aaron
I am commenting on U40 Cork Seal.
It does add some durabilty to a cork grip. It primaryily will keep the cork looking the same as it protects the cork; resisting dirt and grim from penetrating and staining the cork. It will darken the cork a shade or two. Other things it does is change the "feel" of the grip. It is slightly smoother and therefore "feels" slightly slippery. The feel remains more consistant in use. Fish "slim", bait scents oils and etc. along with grim on user hands will not stain the grip and can be easly wiped off.
It does what it is supposed to do well and that is protect the cork. Please follow the instructions on the product.

Regarding your question on reel seat inserts. You will find many alternatives and variations. I suggest doing a search on this forum. I find the variety and inventiveness of folks such as you are great for coming up with new and wonderful looking and servicable reel inserts. Materials used run the gamit from metal, wood, synthetic wood, graphite, cork, and more. Styles of reel seats for a given type of rod are many. I suppose that this all says that their are many preferences. I leave it up to you to discover which is best for your preference and pocket book!

I wish you joy in your rod building and in using the fruits of your labor. Take a kid fishing and enjoy.
Sincerely Joe Kassuba

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.144.33.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: June 13, 2005 11:21AM

I treat all my cork grips with Tru-Oil.... it brings out the grain , "ages" the cork a little and protects it as well.. just one coat and you do not get the shine with it, just the color....

Art

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: June 13, 2005 12:38PM

I use Cork Seal. One coat, wipe off the excess with a paper towel. All that's needed is what penetrates into the cork surface. No shine, dries much faster than Tru Oil. It does darken the cork just a tad bit, as does Tru Oil.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster