I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finish problem
Posted by: david williams (65.69.96.---)
Date: June 08, 2005 02:03PM

here about a week or two ago i placed a post on finish problems i was having.
and i thank those of you who replied to the post.
the problem was the finish was shying away from the threads on top of guide feet.
was told to try putting the epoxy on heavier so i did and still am having the epoxy shy away
from the threads.
what would be causing this?
i made sure that i did not touch the thread with my hands except to start my wrap
and to tie it off. about the only place im having this problem is where the thread climbs upon the guide foot and up to 1/4 the way toward the guide ring . but it is not on all guides just
on some of them.
switching to the flex coat high build fix this problem since it is thicker or letting the lite
sit on the foil longer.
PLEASE HELP THIS IS GETTING VERY IRRATATING
THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP
DAVID

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finish problem
Posted by: Larry Laurent (207.191.101.---)
Date: June 08, 2005 02:25PM

David, when you say it shys away from the thread, is this on the first coat? I use a thin first coat of Flexcoat lite, thin enough to see the thread texture through it when it soaks into the thread and cures. When I say thin, I don't mean I thin the epoxy, I just don't put it on thick. I want it to soak into the thread and not leave much if any above the thread surface on the first coat.
The second coat is Flexcoat high build. If you are getting "fish eyes" in the second or subsequent coats, you probably have something repelling the epoxy. If it is happening on the first coat, are you sure it is not just soaking into the thread?

Posted by: david williams (65.69.100.---)
Date: June 08, 2005 02:41PM

LARRY not sure since you put it that way ! it is good solid coat everywhere else
except little strips on the guide feet. i will look real close and see if it is soaking in or not.
that and i will try putting it on thinner than i have in the past like you descibed and see if that
solves my problem.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 02:51PM

Did you make sure there was no hand oils on the guide feet after you preped the feet
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 08, 2005 05:22PM

David,

When you say "little strips" are they running along the guide foot? Your finish may just be filling the "tunnels" along the foot/blank formed by the thread. Like Larry said, the finish may be already soaked in and you just need a second coat

Mike

Posted by: Steve Purcell (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2005 03:38AM

Often the entire guide is completely coated except you can see individual threads on the top of the guide foot. If that is what you are experiencing it is normal. The finish is filling the tunnel area alongside the guide foot. It should completely cover on the next coat unless you are using a very thin finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster