I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dealing with St Croix Blue
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2005 08:32PM

I just got in a blank for a customer from St Croix that is a beautiful med red shade metallic BLUE. What a purdy blank, most beautiful blank I have ever seen. Glows like NEW money. Looks so good I'm almost scared to build it :-)

Came with white factory lettering under the handle and a white factory decal for the top side.

I'm just wondering why blue? and if it will take any special care-other than normal-with epoxy and such.

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dealing with St Croix Blue
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2005 08:47PM

"Pretty" sells. Plain and simple. It's an attractive color and one that hasn't been exploited by many blank makers, yet.

It requires no more care than any other color, but I will warn you that the new St. Croix finishes are not very tolerant of harsh solvents. During construction, do not use anything beyond common isoprophyl alcohol for cleaning chores. No solvent or denatured alcohol and certainly no acetone.

Date: June 07, 2005 08:53PM

Thanks Tom,

That was the info I was looking for.

The guy picked UVA colors for the thread wraps: blue/orange trip bands. Should be a real piece of work when done.

I'll tell you this much Tom, if I were building it for myself, I believe I'd just make a home decoration out of it....I just couldn't imagine it with a scratch! LOL....pass it down trhe family line and concider it a "pretty" :-)

DR

Posted by: Don Eurillo (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2005 10:35PM

DR,

Which St. Croix line comes in this new blue ? SCII ? I understood that they changed the SCV from green to brown, but haven't seen the blue color you refer to.

Thanks,

Don Eurillo

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 07, 2005 10:40PM

in the scv spinning there cobalt blue and there fly rod line is the brown pearlesence........

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 07, 2005 10:42PM

whoops my fault the sclV is the cobalt blue

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 02:52AM

The bright St. Croix blue fits with the colors and graphics that their Pro Bass Teams wear. High profile colors and graphics akin to a Pro Football Team uniform. Not the color schemes normally associated with fly fishing.
The Bass Tournament tours are big business and they are all about getting noticed. Personally I find the blue a bit glaring. The color and finish is almost identical to a racing bike I once owned. The British made frame was by Dawes, and they called the color scheme a "Double Blue". It had a two-tone paint job with the darker blue (like the St. Croix blue) in the rear transitioned into a lighter blue in the front. That might actually be a good way to further customize this blank. I might like it better if it was not so shiny. Perhaps a coat of matte clear coat would help. Sorry, St. Croix...I love your blanks if not your newest bluest.
Dave

Posted by: JIm Rosch (---.mmm.com)
Date: June 08, 2005 03:51AM

I used the non solvent based goop off works well and doesnt effect the green or blue finish on st crioxs

"Although my questions may seem simple to some, not asking them would make me simple."

Date: June 08, 2005 05:52PM

St Croix IV are all Cobalt Blue

DR

Posted by: JIm Rosch (---.mmm.com)
Date: June 16, 2005 02:34PM

st croix IV fly blanks are spruce green as are the older V blanks, not that it matters try the goop off

"Although my questions may seem simple to some, not asking them would make me simple."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster