I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st time rod builder, whats a good blank for 30-40 line class?
Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2005 04:13PM

Looking to make a rod for stripped bass fishing 30lb class line. Can anyone suggest some ones that may be good. I like light ones that are skinny near the tip and thicker at the bottom. I have also just bought "Rod Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman how is that book to start me off?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st time rod builder, whats a good blank for 30-40 line class?
Date: June 07, 2005 04:16PM

Sorry a few more questions. How do I know what guides to pick? and is there anywhere I can buy the type of butt that licks into the holders on a boat or a belt? I have not been able to fine them , thanks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2005 04:38PM

Great book. Look for gimbals to lock your rod butt down, everyone carries them. Put "striper blank" select "all dates"in the search engine above and you'll get a list as long as your arm to pick from with accompaning discriptions.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 04:25PM

Al,
There are some other details to take into consideration in order to recommend a particular blank. What is your budget? Are you making a boat rod or a surf rod? What type of reel will you be using, spinning or conventional? Have you considered a spiral wrap layout if you are going with a conventional reel? A spiral wrap will definitly be an advantage for you especially when tackling strong fish like Stripers. If you love this craft, and think you'll be staying with it, do yourself a huge favor and subscribe to RodMaker Magazine. That is where you will get the clearest directions with many photos on a ton of interesting and helpful topics. That is where one really gets a chance to learn step by step. Not every article may be directed to the type of rods you make, but evry issue will likely relate to some aspect of what you do. And they are a ersource you can refer to over and over.
Just ask how anxious most subscibers are to receive the latest issue..including myself. This is what good is all about!

It will keep you at the forefront of the craft even tough your skils may need time to catch up with what you are learning. Frop me this site and RodMaker Magazine work together like a perfectly tuned two stroke engine.
The in depth articles feed us with new ideas and skills, and the Forum gives us a chance to comapre notes on what we each have discovered about each procedure. This becomes like a proceess of refinement out of which other creative ideas flow. The comraderie of poeple who share the sam e interest and are willing to be helpful to one another only mutiplies the benefit of the information which is made availabie though both vehicles.
Welcome aboard and expect our learning curve to rise faster than you may think. WARNING: RODBUILDING IS ADDICTIVE!

Dave

Posted by: AL Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 08, 2005 11:28PM

Thanks, I am using it as a boat rod. I would like to keep the blank under 100 for my first one. The book I have by Tom Kirkman seems pretty good so om going to stick with that for now. How is mudhole.com? There isnt any places that sell blanks near me so it looks like I am going to have to order from the net.

Date: June 08, 2005 11:30PM

I have seen the spiral rap. Does it really offer thart much more strenght? I

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2005 03:02AM

Al,

Your price range will get you into some very good blanks. Tom's book has the most helpful written instructions I have found. There is also an abundance of knowledge here on the Forum for things which may not be covered in Tom's book. Just run searches using the topic of interest. Remember to set the search for all dates. You might as well scan as many answers as possible to find the one that is most helpul.

If I was in your shoes I would reach for the phone and call Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle Supply. They are one the many fine spponsors of this site. Bob will be able to guide you to a great blank in your price range from his very large inventory. Any components you will need he will likely have on hand and his expertise will be invaluable. Enjoy your beginnership. It will not last long. Make good connections now and they will ease your passage through years of rod building. Saving a dollar here or there, while important, but not as vital as finding good sources of reliable information and the parts you need when you need them. In a reasonably short time you shall have formed a nice web of sources with whom you are comfortable dealing that can help you in all aspects of the craft. Custom Tackle is one very fine source. There are several others to be sure. FishStix4U is another. So is Schneiders Rod Shop.

Remember, this is about building relationships with the people you buy from. No supplier will always have everything you need at a particular time, but if they are willing to tell you what is out of stock at the time you are placing your order (be sure to ask) it shows they are interested in your needsand not just their profits. Sometimes a delay is costly. If you are not told about an item being out of stock it can mess up your entire schedule. This is where you are relying on the seller to be upfront. He knows you can get th epart elsewhere and shold be willing tpo helpo you do that if it is a pressing matter.

We have more choices for goods today than ever in this craft. Make good use of your power as a consumer. Shop where you get the best service at competitive prices. I want to dal with businesses that honor my needs and I wil be loyal tp those that do.

I would be remiss if I did not mention Neal's Fishing Products as well a Bingham Enterprises. Any I have left out does not indicate anything other than I was naming the first bunch that came to mind. You''ll be much better seved with any blank recommendation from these fine sources than myself. They are the experts who have been gettting feedback on all the blanks for many years. Make good use of their expertise.

My Grandfather had a favorite saying which made a lasting impression on me. He'd say: "If you want the best advice go to the head of the horse and not the other end."

Best regards, Dave.

Posted by: Rick Gilman (166.109.135.---)
Date: June 09, 2005 08:29AM

Al For a 30lb rod you may want to check out the calstar grafighter 700L or the Lamiglas CGBT841M, both are composite blanks, the 700L has more of a taper than the Lami . For 40lb check out the Calstar 700M and the lami CGBT841MH, these are also composite. I have caught striped bass into the 40's on my 700L it has a soft tip, fast action with plenty of back bone. The Lami's are more of a medium/fast action. I would go with fugi Alconite Guides, 20 stripping 16, 12, 10,10,10 10,10, with a #10 top. hope this helps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster