I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread dipped in CP??
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: June 06, 2005 03:30PM

Has anyone tried doing this before doing a trim band? I would like to use a trim band that preserves the original color and wraps that turn transluscent and I refuse to use NCP thread, looks flat and no amount of glossly epoxy over it can change that flat look. Is it possible to take a piece of thread, soak it with CP, let it dry and then tie the trim band? Or would the thread end up being too stiff?

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread dipped in CP??
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: June 06, 2005 04:28PM

It's just a piece of thread...try it & find out. Best of luck.

Jay

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2005 05:01PM

Most of the CP wil crack and flake when you attempt to wind the thread. No reason not to try, but my own attempts with it were not very good. Maybe your's will be better.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: June 06, 2005 06:00PM

Tom,
What kind of CP did you try? The only kind I use, when I use it at all is Gudebord 811.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2005 07:47PM

Flex Coat, Gudebrod 811, Epoxy Coatings 215. I got about the same result with all of them.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.45.76.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 06, 2005 11:56PM

Gerry, I've had good luck with dipping a strand, giving it a couple of seconds to soak, wick off the excess with lint free cloth, then do your band while it's still damp. Works for inlays too, with very little, if any, "contamination" of the wrap thread.

I've tried pre-treating and had the same results as Tom. Once it dries and you try to wrap, you end up with a mess.

Ruined a lot of thread in my youth thinking that I could pre CP the entire spool to save time.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: June 07, 2005 08:51AM

i couldn't get the soaked trim thread to work either. So what I've done is to wrap the main wrap & put on first coat of finish. Use the nail knot method for the trim band with very small artist brush (although getting on the mainwrap doesn't hurt anything), apply CP to the trim and let throughly dry. Appy another coat of finish to the complete wrap.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: June 07, 2005 12:26PM

I hate NCP thread also, but if the trim bands are very narrow the difference between NCP and regular thread is not that noticeable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster