I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forgetting things
Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: June 04, 2005 09:14AM

Thought I had posted this question earlier but I don't see it so that validates my reason for asking.

On a personal fly rod, 806, I forgot to put a winding check on.

I'd like to hear some simple suggestions on how one would go about taking care of this small but annoying omission. Realize that this is a working fly rod for the builder?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forgetting things
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2005 09:20AM

I've never used winding checks. Normally, I just allow the finish on the thread wrap there to flow onto the face of the grip.

Now if you have a large gap or area showing where the grip attaches to the blank at that point, you might have to do a double wrap of thread at the grip face to take up a bit of room. Once finished, no one will ever know that it's too layers deep.

You could also make a fillet of RodBond or similar, even tinted with a color pigment, to sort of form a winding check if you want. Or you could just use that fillet as a ramp for any thread type check you want to make there.

I'm sure others will have some ideas as well.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 04, 2005 02:01PM

I know rubber is very "tacky" on a fly rod (you probably have some kind of nickel silver check?), but you could pick up some small o- rings at the hardware store that could stretch over the guides and still be snug at the foregrip. Put two or three side by side. Might look okay.

Posted by: Fred Crum (66.6.80.---)
Date: June 04, 2005 02:05PM

Richard,
You could always go to wally world and pick up an asortment of adjustable toe rings and do as Tom K sugests with an Rod Bond fillet and mount the ring.

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Posted by: Chris Marriott (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2005 08:12PM

Rich, You could use a small piece of gold chain cut so that it wraps around the dia. of the blank. Then coat with finish. Good Luck!
Chris

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.222.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 09:53AM

Check out your wifes jewelry box LOL

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: June 05, 2005 11:50AM

Then you'd have to claim the rod was for HER!

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.222.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 12:29PM

There is always Walmart

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster