I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCF (Frequency) Data can now be added and referenced on the CCS Data site
Posted by: Bob Hesser (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2005 01:31PM

Hi Everyone,

I've done a small update to the CCS Data Site to include a spot to submit CCF (Frequency) data. A column has also been added to each "page" of CCS data to include the CCF numbers as they get submitted. So far, we have one rod with the frequency data. See if you can find it & then congratulate the 1st builder to add the measurement to the site.

Thanks

Bob Hesser
CCS Data Site Publisher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCF (Frequency) Data can now be added and referenced on the CCS Data site
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 02, 2005 01:41PM

Good work Bob and thanks for all your efforts. You are doing a great service that many of us really appreciate. And good job Doug Weber for your CCF entry. I haven't measured CCF yet so I need to give that a try on some of the rods and blanks I have. I guess with CCF for built rods, it's pretty important to comment on the type and size of guides used. Do you all agree? As we have found, it's really not that important for ERN, unless you truly use huge and many guides.

Steve

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2005 03:15PM

The CCF should be taken without guides installed, otherwise, the figure you're looking at will only be valid if you're using the exact same guides in the exact same location. You can read more about this in the upcoming issue of RodMaker.

While the AA and ERN won't change between blank and finished rod (ERN could drop slightly), the CCF will certainly reflect any addition of guides, wraps, thread, finish, etc. In order to compare blank to blank, you'd want to take this reading with the blank in its naked state.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 02, 2005 03:52PM

Tom, that makes sense and I understand that for us to compare CCF values with each other, the blank would have to be bare or the builder would have to give very specific rod specs (guide model, size, location and number) for them to be meaningful, and that would be cumbersome. But, for those interested in comparing our own rods to establish a certain profile of ERN/AA/CCF that seems to meet our personal preferences, measuring the rod in it's fishable condition could be very useful. So, in terms of the database, you're saying only the "blank" page should have entries for CCF, not the "rod" page? That's probably the only practical way to do it since expanding the comment section to include all the guide data would be a nightmare for Bob.

Date: June 02, 2005 04:42PM

Right - there are just too many varibles once you complete the rod for the CCF to have any real use there. In fact, a guy could build a rod with underwraps, "footballed" finish and perhaps a few extra guides and you'd find yourself looking at a CCF figure which might paint the blank in a very, very bad light, when all the time the problem was with how it was built. To get an idea just how widely this can vary, even with the same blank, hang on for the article in the upcoming issue of RodMaker (mailed today) which details how even the exact same blank built with different guides can go from a stellar perfomer to a real dog, just because of the guides used or how they happen to be located.

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 01:08AM

It would be interesting to have some before and after numbers to get an idea how big is the effect of adding guides, wraps etc. What's attached out near the tip will have a much greater effect than what is added further back.

Mike

Date: June 03, 2005 08:41AM

Exactly - and you can see such comparisons in the new issue of RodMaker. Guides, and their location, do indeed make a huge difference.

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.itexas.net)
Date: June 05, 2005 01:34AM

While I agree that CCF values for rod blanks are the most important data, I do believe that CCF data on FACTORY BUILT FINISHED RODS could be very useful for comparative purposes. One would expect the factors related to hardware would be constant.

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 06, 2005 01:46AM

If you think about it, you really have to have a tiptop and a few guides on a rod if you want to go fishing with it. It remains to be seen whether there is an advantage to say using single foot guides and whipping one on in place of a tiptop to minimize the the effect on rod frequency. Durability and fishability count for something. Differences in the style of a build of a rod may not amount to much more that having a couple of more feet of fly line out.

Mike McGuire

Date: June 06, 2005 05:14PM

From the hardware chosen to its location, I find that these are not very constant from builder to builder. I firmly believe this is why one builder can turn out a gem of a rod on the same blank that another can only turn into something barely useable.

But either way is fine, as long as you understand what you're looking at when you see that CCF number - bare blank or finished rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster