I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FT907 or 908
Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.1.---)
Date: June 02, 2005 11:06AM

I'm going to build a bass rod (both smallmouth and largemouth) that will see very occasional use in salt water (plan on using Titans for this purpose), and I'm having a difficult time deciding on which blank to use. I've settled on the Dan Craft FT series, but not on the line wt. From what I've read about these blanks, I'm thinking that the 7 wt would be sufficient (basing this on CC numbers and a post saying it had very similar characteristics to the Clouser designed SCIV 8'9" 8wt). However, I'd like to hear from people who have built and used the two. Anyone know the difference in weights of the two blanks?
Also, plan on going 12, 10, 8, then 7s on out. Any benefit in going with a 16 first?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FT907 or 908
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2005 03:17PM

I would use a high frame (SVSG type) #16 for the stripper guide. I would also go with the 7-weight blank, although that means it'll be a very light saltwater stick. But a 7-weight rod is more than enough for the average bass any of us catch, probably more than enough. Might as well have fun with the smaller ones - the big ones are fairly few and far between, and the 7 can certainly handle a big fish if need be.

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: June 02, 2005 03:21PM

Mike,

I have a 908 that is a real cannon. I used it this spring on hybrid striped bass and it has amazing fighting power. If I were going to build a rod for bass around here I would go lighter than the 908. I use a 6 wt XT-51 for casting bass bugs (and for wipers after I broke my 908) and a 3 wt whenever I can get away with using smaller flies (bass are a riot on a 3wt). If you are fishing for largemouth in heavy cover the 908 might be the way to go. I built my 908 with the intention of using it in salt (which will unfortunately be a rare occasion) and I think it will be a fantastic rod for that. Can't remember what size guides I used. They are Forecast ceramics and I like them a lot too. I have a friend who built a 1006 and it is a real nice rod. So I guess my answer is to go with an FT but consider going down to a 6wt. My two cents.

Peter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 05:41PM

I concur with Peter that the FT906-4 might be all you need. That having been said, I LOVE the 7wt. It's a little crisper to me and is just a joy to cast. It would certainly have all the power you'd need for the criteria you've given.

I have cast the 8'9" 8wt St Croix you referred to and was also very impressed with it. I would say the FT907-4 is the closest I've encountered, but the FT's are markedly their own animal. The new Rainshadow RX8+ 908-4 would also be a strong contender for being similar to the SC.

I would definitely use a #16 stripper, a #12 taming guide, then 1 - 10, 2 - 8's, and 7's on out. You could actually drop the 10 and just go from the #12 taming guide to 2 - 8's (or three if you like the look better) and then run with the 7's.

We've recently sold out of the 6, 7, and 8 FTs but all are enroute and will be available next week...we'd love the opportunity of helping you put a package together.

All the best,

Posted by: John Dow (---.215.252.64.snet.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 10:08PM

I'm with Peter and John for the #6 . I built a 6wt Ft this winter and it has handled stripers in the Housatonic river this spring up to 32" already . Throws Clousers like a champ and still had some reserve power for even bigger fish , which it will see in june on Cape Cod . I can't say enough about this rod as a light salt rod , it's been perfect so far . Have fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: June 04, 2005 03:06AM

Mike,

I have to say that while the FT906 will be all the rod you will need for most any bass fishing, I love throwing the FT907! It just seems to have the perfect taper and just the power for the blank. I would say that you could put the fear into any Bonefish and a bunch of snook and reds with the 907 but I am pretty sure if you were just thinking mostly about bass and occasionally bones, you could get away with the FT906!
We have them all in stock as well as all the components you would need.
Thanks,

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster