I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

teaching video
Posted by: Brad Young (---.athens01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 09:27AM

Any one have an idea on which video to buy for beginning rod builder. I have built several rods so far but would like to do a better job. I.E. With rod finishing and better looking butt wraps. One that goes into more detail than just from start to finish. Hope this is clear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: teaching video
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: June 02, 2005 09:48AM

Doc Ski has one and Flex Coat has one, also.

Oops; haven't seen Ken's yet and forgot him, Myles...

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2005 10:15AM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: June 02, 2005 09:59AM

Also add Ken Preston's DVDs to the list.

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 08:40PM

I have the following videos, they all help a first timer in rod building. But each one gives you the techniques that each of individual builder uses. The batch of videos cost less than the charge for a class
at a local rod manufacturer.

Rhey are in no special order, just the way they were stacked on my desk.

RODBUILDING

Custom Rod Building and wrapping, Doc Ski: How to complete TUNA style fishing rods, from splining to
finishing demoed on various actual fishing rods. Also guide thread wrapping techniques.

How We Do It, Flex Coat Rod Building: Building an ultra-light spinning rod the Flex Coat way. Shows both
a rod built being built entirely by hand, no wrapper and on a picnic table. Also Fex Coat factory
production shots in building a rod.

Rodbuilding Basics, Ken Preston: Demos on building a rod, uses PVC pipe for demo's, from splining to
finishing. Also has how to remove guides, and coloring rod blanks and various thread
wrapping techniques.

How to build Custom Rods, Artie Hebert: Building a spinning rod with a cork handle from splining to
finish. Does not use a power wrapper. I would not think the series complete with out buying
Ebert's, Advanced Rod Building Techniques. Together you have all the tips and tricks.

WEAVING and DECORATIVE WRAPPING

Advanced Weaving Techniques: Doc Ski: Probably the bible of thread weaving videos. How to layout a
weave, make a "Left List" and make silhouette and multi color weaves. Comes with a Yellowfin
Tuna weaving list.

Decorative Rod Wrapping Vol. 1, Artie Hebert: Making spiral and cross wraps. The only detailed viseow on
cross wraps I have found.

Decorative Rod Wrapping, Vol 2, Artie Hebert: Basic intro into weaving. Simple "Left List" and weave one
letter.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Nacho Garibay (---.249.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2005 09:48PM

Hey all,

I have just about every rod building video there is, except for Ken's DVD. I also have watched those listed in the other emails at least 3 times each. In my opinion, (and I know everyone has one) Doc Ski's Custom Rod Building and wrapping was the one I learned the most from. Then again, I love building deep sea big fish "tuna rods". In addition, Doc's video is just about three hours long and really explains the steps in building a fishing rod. I am not into weaves, just do not have the time to do them, and I get confused with the left and right thread (or is that up and down the blank) counts. Believe when I tell I have discussed weaves with several of our known "great rod weavers" of today. I just do not get it. I have seen some wonderful detail weaves that have incredible details (just look at the weaves Doc Ski does) and that I would love to be able to do. Weaves are just something I don't get.

In addition, I read most of the rod building books, and I found that Dale Clemens Fiberglass Rod Making and Ken Preston's lastest Rod Building book covered all the details of building a great rod. Ken's book is really good on teaching you all you need to understand on what makes a great fishing rod. Heck, the book was great; makes me want to see his DVD.

But for me, I joined a rod building class at Kel's taught by Terri and there is no way better to learn on how to build a wonderful first time rod. Not only was the learning experience great, but I also made some wonderful rod building buddies.

I like to add one more thing; I never met a rod builder that I did not like. Each rod builder I have met over the past two years have been extremely outgoing and willing to share their knowledge at the drop of a thread. No Kidding!

And it is just a blast of a hobby.
Someday, I am going to go fishing with the 30 plus rods I have build.

Posted by: Tom Erickson (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 10:08PM

I like Doc`s keeps it simple and to the point.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 12:00AM

Ken Preston's latest DVD on "How to Build a Fly Rod", or some such title, is the best instructional DVD I've seen covering the basics of building a fish rod. It's very useful for beginners to get the basics, no matter what kind or "pole" you want to build. Check it out .

Stan

Posted by: stanford yerger (---.157.56.45.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 08:57AM

Brad I like Tom's book the best and the best video on FLY ROD BUILDING
for me is by Bill Marts, Stanford.

Posted by: david williams (65.67.215.---)
Date: June 03, 2005 05:57PM

dont get the flex coat how we do it
it leaves alot to be desired or at least it did for me.
it just didnt go into great indept detail.
i learned more from reading and asking question on this board
than i did from the dvd i bought.
just my opinion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster