I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

No more seconds for me
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.sunriver.cmc.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 02:47PM

I've learned my lesson just built a fly rod ,completed it and transported x country to my son .Took 3 practice casts and it snapped right abv. the ferrule joint .With another rod bought from another company after using for 1 day the ferrule broke. It's not the the point of getting your money back or the hours of time you put into your work.It's the disappointment you feel and the look on you son face.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No more seconds for me
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2005 04:00PM

Obviously any rod can break, but the chances of that happening are going to be somewhat greater with a 2nd or blem than with a first quality product. You save money on these, but you also take a little greater risk.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.42.114.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 04:12PM

Like Tom told me once before --- quality is not cheap.

Posted by: Joe Asinger (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:21PM

What is a second?

I am new as tyhe question probably telegraphed.

Joe <*}(({{>>{

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:33PM

They are blanks the factory has chosen out that aren't quite up to snuff for them. Some are a bit crooked, some have slight cosmetic boo boo's. The first runs are the highest quality.

That said, I used to build on a lot of these second rods. I didn't have any more breakage problems then than I do now using the firsts. But those rods were mostly IM6 material in all fairness and I'm using the higher end graphites now and they are a bit touchier as far as dings and bangs causing the rod to break later on, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 10:04AM

I have made a very good business on 2nds and give them a no questions asked breakage policy. I'm into my 13th year now, in fact I am now the oldest tennant here at the marina which is 14 years old. Got to be doing something right. Jesse

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 03:28PM

Personal opinion. I did at one time build on seconds (20 yrs ago). My seconds came from a well renowned rod and blank company.. Well after I had spent time and money on 6 different blank series and each one failed. I stopped building on 2nds. The money for me was not the issue, what was the issue was the time and energy I spent on these rods. What I do now is build on discontinued blank models. I never build on seconds. Most rod companies have a repetition to keep up for their products and have discontinued selling second. There has been a influx of blanks on the internet @#$%& sites selling what are suppose to be number one blanks, but in reality are seconds. To stop this most blank companies have stopped selling 2nds. Just my 2 cents and thoughts. (Go for quality not quantity). I think a discontinued series is the way to go if money is a issue.
Good wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.71.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 08:09AM

There are so many companies selling good priced blanks at nice prices
Also look for sales that come up on here. Pick up several and store them. If you have room?
Med-bass type rods and 5 wt fly seem to be most popular ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster