I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

drilling cork rings....???'s
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.r1.scrgwy.infoave.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 01:37PM

Ok.........., I have purchased a drill press, set up the fence to drill rings, used a 1/4" bit to center the hole, and using a 1/2" forstner bit, drilled the hole.
After drilling, I pick up the ring ( rubberized cork )and look at it, and the hole is obviously not centered in the ring.

why......???

bent drill bits......???
mistake in set up...???
need cork clamp....???
need pilot drill bits....???
rings dont have centered 1/4" hole....???
shouldn't worry about it since the rings will be glued and shaped on a mandrel...???

forstner bit (Sears) does an excellent job with a nice clean hole and no chipping or rear blowout @ 3600 R's, using a backup piece of 1x4.
I have scoured all of the archive's on drilling cork rings, would like your opinions and observations.

thank you, pb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drilling cork rings....???'s
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 01:48PM

What do you use to hold the rings? Did you check to be sure the 1/4" hole was centered? How far off center are they with the 1/2" hole? If they're only off a little, it may not make any difference in the long run although it will feel pretty strange with you shape it on a lathe, you will have to make it concentric first. I've used the Flex Coat pilot drill bits on cork grip after they've been shaped and they work pretty slick, but a Forstner bit should be fine as long as it's centered.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.r1.scrgwy.infoave.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 02:02PM

I held the rings up against the fence endstop and fence backstop with my fingers....and this is not the way to do it, safety wise. I ordered a back issue of Rodmaker that has the directions for building a cork ring clamp....

How do you go about checking the 1/4" ring to see if it is centered.......I didn't measure with my calipers if that is what you mean. But, as I mentioned, I used a 1/4" bit and adfjusted the fence so that the bit was centered in the ring.

The holes are just a little off center......but enough to see that it is off center.

After posting this, I went back to the drill press owners manual and saw that I have not squared the table to the head.....as yet......will have to bring a square from home to check this.

thanks for the reply Gerry, pb

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 03:12PM

Save yourself a lot of time/trouble and spring for Flexcoat pilot bits [flexcoat.com] Pick them up from just about any vendor on the left. They're fool proof!! Easy to just hold the ring with fingers on the drill press and go for it!

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2005 03:15PM by Mike Barkley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster