I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bubber chucks?
Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 07:59PM

Hi all,
I have been building fishing rods for some time now and doing it by hand is something I just can't bring myself to do any longer.
I have a power wrapper built now and used the thumbscrew chuck method for the chuck but within a few minutes of testing I decided I am going to go with the rubber chuck instead. I have ordered some rubber sheets that are 3/32" thick and 6"X6". I seem to be with the idea that a vinal type bubber is what I should have gotten but the sheets I have ordered are cheap and very accessable. The hose clamps are easy to come by so I was just wordering if I have done right by ordering the rubber sheets?

Other then that I have a few tweeks to make to the wrapper before I will be happy with it. It's just motor mount stuff and a thread carage I could really do with out for the most part.

Any words from the wise would be put to good use, thanks.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bubber chucks?
Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 06:24AM

Hey howzit Wylie! I thought one of the Columbia sturgeon sucked you in, its been a while! Hey you should check out the @#$%& Rod Dryer I just bought, [www.allcoastsportfishing.com]
It has an ingenious self centering chuck, right up your alley! You can probably relate since your the inventive type like @#$%&, John Mantele, is!
Talk about Rubber chucks!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.68.56.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 09:48AM

Wylie
Check this one out. I have two. They will take any thin or thick like a handle end. maybe with heafty bands? Costly [www.cabelas.com]

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 10:24AM

Hey ya Jim, Thanks for chiming in,
Columbia Sturgeon pull me in! Bahahahaah! I fish the Snake River here in Idaho Jim where the big ones are (smiles jokingley) . My first 15-40# 12' Ugly Stick I was thrashing on for testing only made it to the fourth fish and then split in two places longitudial. I now have the grips, cork tape and reel seat on a Kencor B12H that should be the first rod wrapped on my wrapper once I get it set up how I want it.
@#$%&'s drier involves a few more steps in chucking up then the sheet rubber type chuck I seen at the Northwestern Rod Builders Get Together. This was an outwrappers rig (sorry I am not good with names) and it was slick, just stab the rods/blanks in and go, pretty cheap to build too. The rubber sheets cost less then a buck each and the hose clamps are just a little over a buck each.

Tight wraps and line Jim

Hi Bill,
I almost went with a chuck like that and what I have on the machine now would work that way but I am looking for a faster easier application. I guess I will post some pictures when I get this wrapper set up the way I am happy with it. As it is now it will work just fine but I am kind of picky like that I guess.
My other parts should be in Tuesday and the fix will only take a matter of minutes. With a few 2" PVC caps I'll be able to go from small blanks up to large diameter grips in a matter of seconds.

Thanks Bill,

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2005 10:26AM by Wylie Wiggins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster