I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hand Signing Rods
Posted by: Rob Hardaway (213.42.2.---)
Date: May 29, 2005 08:18AM

Howdy all,

Ive got a few customers who have asked for their name to be put on the rod just above the cork handle (Fly Rods) where you would usually put the brand name of the blank your builing. I bought a pen for doing just this but what ink should i use. It needs to be in either gold or silver. Could i use a standard enamal spray paint by spraying a liquid film onto some foil then dipping the pen nib into it?

Second question is would it be a recomendation to put one coat of permagloss on the rod first before signing the name then finally finishing it with guide epoxy?

Cheers

Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hand Signing Rods
Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 08:53AM

Rob

Lots of way to do it.

Mine are not expert signatures; just simple means of identification, ownership etc. but here's how I put mine on.

Lightly scuff the surface area of the signature with Scothbrite. This helps the roller ball on the gel pen I use distribute the ink. Then I hand letter the name and whatever is going on the rod. That is given an hour or so to dry. Then a light coat of spray polyurethane over the signature to keep the epoxy from smearing. After the poluurethane has dried, then epoxy over. The scuffing on the blank never shows.

Posted by: Steve Purcell (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 12:25PM

I use a nib (dipping fountain pen) and the ink from a Calligraphy pen. I take the pen apart and keep the ink in a very small jar. I have been using the ink from one gold pen for over a year and can't remember if the brand was Sanford or Pilot but it is the best readily available ink I have found. It is fairly think and does not come off once applied/dried. Works much better than the several inks I have purchased that are designed for Calligraphy stylus pens.

I don't do any surface prep other than cleaning the blank. The ink is completely stable in seconds. I cover with FC high build. If you make a mistake, wipe immediately with alcohol. If you are a second too late you will have to sand.scotchbrite to remove the remnant ink.

Good luck.

Posted by: JOHN BARNES (---.rconnect.com)
Date: May 29, 2005 12:54PM

Rob I use Sanford verithin pencils no. 754 in gold and no. 753 in silver.
I usually scuff the blank with fine steel wool unless the blank has a matte
finish you probably won't need to. I take a wet cloth and wipe the area I
intend to write on and then autograph on it right away while it is still damp.
If you make a mistake wipe off with damp cloth and do over until you get it
the way you like it. Best of all the pencils never dry out and will last for years
good luck,

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an1.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 02:08PM

I use a Rapidograph technical pen and acrylic artists ink, which is available in many colors. Just wipe the rod off with an alcohol swap and write, let dry for about an hour, spray with a light coat of Krylon crystal clear acrylic from about 10 inches away, let dry for another hour and the finish with whatever, I use Permagloss or spar urethane.

Posted by: Lou Perez (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 04:47PM

I sign all of my fly rods with a steel nib pen and silver "Winsor and Newton" brand ink. This is sold at Pearl Paint stores and can be ordered throught their website. It comes in many colors, both metallic and non-metallic and dries to the touch within 3-5 minutes and can be finished directly over with flex coat.

HTH,

Lou

Posted by: Rob Hardaway (212.138.113.---)
Date: May 30, 2005 06:41AM

Thanks to all who wrote in with suggestions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster