I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spines
Posted by: Robert Hively (---.sprint-rev.hbci.com)
Date: May 28, 2005 10:33AM

I have to ask a question, not intending to open a can of "thread worms."

I have been crafting rods sinse the 80s. I experiment lots, and have made a number of changes over time, thanks to TK, Scott B, Dick French and others who offered sage (no advert intended) advice. I like to fool around, but am not over picky, as the advice and experience has me knowing there is lots of room for variation.

My question: I began rodbuilding with the "bend on the table" method of spining sections. A few years back I switched to placing the rod section straight up and down on a carpet and pushing down on the blank - several times to assure correct alignment. The rod takes a natural bend.

Always works, easy.

I also understand factory rods are not spined, mostly, and checked for straightness. (I have made a few that way myself, to see if it really mattered. Under load, perhaps not, but I have never overstressed a rod myself, at least knowingly.)

I do spine rods, however, just to be sure, but use the above method only. Obviously, this precludes tricky machines and does provide immediate load characteristics, etc.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Hive

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spines
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2005 11:06AM

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, as long as you understand that the act of loading a blank by hand flexing/pressuring it is not at all the same as what happens when the rod is loaded by a fish via a line running through rod guides. Any spine effect is quite easily overcome by the effect of the line trying to make it's way to the underside of the rod whenever it's loaded.

If you're simply asking about finding the spine, then any of the various methods are all going to work pretty well and give similar results. Some just find one method better than another for the type blanks they're working with. Setting the butt on a marble and pressing straight down on the tip is hard to beat, but maybe not entirely practical with short, stiff multi-piece rod sections or extremely heavy duty trolling rod blanks.

Date: May 29, 2005 06:21AM

TK, Thanks. I agree.

And, those thick sticks require an alternative - which in my case, I simply ignore, believing that the heavier, and I mean heavy sections or complete blanks are less spine "conscious," particularly glass.

I guess I would state that I am spine-picky with the ligher fly rods and get less so as the rods get up in weight. As to the float rods, I treat most of them as lighter fly rods and spine them, even though the 10 to 14 footers do not seem to need it. Once a fish is on, they appear to all react similarly, and the heavy spinners and, now that I think of it, maybe even light spinners all cast well, spined, unspined or spine up or down, if you get my drift :]

I have made a few simply for straightness - 9' 8 wgts - they cast super and no failures after a number of years.

BTW, your suggestions relative to guide placement (Concept) are wonderful, though I began suing a similar method, modified to reduce the guide numbers by one, some years back. I began by simply measuring off 1/3 of the blank length from the middle of the grip and then set guides with a slight gradual lengthening of spacing after the pinch-point. Fast, simple and functional. That is how it should be. I still use it today, but often use graduated guide size for esthetics or weight reduction.

I guess my drift was to find out how many believe that in the end, most rods do what they are supposed to do, regardless of craft methods.

Appreciate the response.

Hive

Hive

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.253.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 07:21AM

I put weight on the butt of a section, then press down on the tip with support under about a foot and a half from that turn the section till I find the way it wants too stay. mark the top place guides where ever. This way it seems to act the same as if a fish is on

Date: May 30, 2005 09:20AM

That seems very practical. How do you set up the weight and anchor it to the section?

Hive

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.237.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 09:27AM

I use sections of scrap blanks that fit into the ends of the blank, making sure they are smoth so as not to scratch the inside of the femail of a tip section. Then after one if I need I will add more over . Seems to be a little bett then the push up the tip and push down on the middle
On light stuff watch that tip you don't break any !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster