I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dial Up, website trouble, or am I just too stupid to order components?
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.80.136.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 10:38PM

My apoligies in advance, but I'm fit to be tied right now and will try to control my language.

I'm on a fairly fast computer, but use dial up (56K). I've just spent the better part of many hours trying to place a large order with a certain sponsor (which I will not name out of respect but have emailed directly) and during all of the ridiculous navigation my "shopping cart" was fine, Suddeny, my "shopping cart" and everything that was previously there was gone except for the last 3 entries, out of many.

I've wasted an entire night trying to get components that I need.

No real point but I just needed to vent some frustraion as politely as i can. If I said what is truly in my mouth, Tom would ban me for life. I'm very fluent in profanity

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dial Up, website trouble, or am I just too stupid to order components?
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.210.11.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 11:02PM

i've encountered problems having a few web pages display correcty on my mac, and with another very large sponsor, i had problems with the shopping cart. pages simply would not load. i just reloaded several times and finally it would begin working again.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 28, 2005 01:50AM

Define "fluent", Dundee

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2005 09:27AM

There are various software packages for vendors. Many are just not very good and many take a very long time to work with because of all the various images that just take a long time coming through a phone line via a dial-up modem. Hopefully this will get better as time goes on - it is the one stumbling block for internet sales and it's not at all limited to rod building component supply dealers. What I usually do is use the online catalog to make up my orders, then call the vendor and order over the phone. Unless it's just for one or two pieces that is.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.80.184.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 09:31AM

Eric, I spent a half an hour hitting refresh. I checked again this morning. Most of my order just vanished. <shrug>.

Randy, you want fluent? Gimme your phone number again and I'll give you a ring and demonstrate. LOL. Seriously, I do need your phone and address again. Your info is on my old puter.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 11:37AM

I am on a fast connection, but for reasons listed above I usually fax in my orders. Gives both them and me a hard copy of what was ordered.

Lou

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.80.184.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 11:39AM

Tom, that is the biggest problem. Waiting for pages to load after selecting items. I'm trying to work up a phone order and I've been at it for over an hour now. Great online catalog but not at all user friendly for stone age folks like me. Serves me right for not being able to find my paper catalog.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.145.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 12:34PM

i forgot to mention i'm on a dialup too. my problems include @#$%& and it's paypal pages. the first or second paypal page often times comes up blank except for the heading at the top and i have to tell the seller i'll have to try again on a pc soon. the large vendor i use from here, clicking on a delete item or adding something or clicking on any link will, within short time, have no effect at all. and a second vendor takes FOREVER to laod and ofteimes never completes. these thre sites are the only problems i have really and ai cruise the internet quite a bit. except for slow loading at other sites which is very rare (my own newspaper's is the most frustrating and i refuse to visit it anymore).

this is going off on a tangent from rodbuilding, so i'll stop now. just wanted to add some empathy here :-)

eric
fresno

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 28, 2005 03:15PM

Dundee, I know that jarhead language well; made my living in the oilpatch for 27 years and it's prevalent here, also!! I'll email you, Mick. LOL!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.253.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 07:38AM

If it is a large order I would say Call Them. This way they can check and see that they have it all

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 29, 2005 09:49AM

Mick,

I always use e-mail even though a "Shopping Cart" is available.. Quicker and I just save the e-mail until my order arrives! Too easy (for me) for a misunderstanding on the phone.

Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 10:10AM

Mick - I pt together an excel spreadsheet which I can either e-mail, or Fax (from work). Much safer, you can make 100 changes, keep track of what you got, plus have a history of what you ordered for future reference.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.93.47.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 10:19AM

email....<smack>... Sometimes it's the simple things. sheesh. I really AM too stupid to order stuff!! hahha

Billy, I like the idea of using Excel. Gonna have to give that a go. Thanks!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.210.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 10:22AM

Then you could print it out and have a paper copy

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 11:25AM

Mick - FWIW - You can "customize" the spreadsheet to have the same format (column-wise) as the place you are ordering from. If ordering from a paper catalouge, I add a column for page number. You can also get a total and know how much you are spending before placing an order, although most times I rather not know.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 29, 2005 02:19PM

I don't know what they all do, but when I e-mail an order to Mudhole, I quickly get a confirmation e-mail as well as an invoice by e-mail and another notice when it ships. I also no quickly if anything is backordered.

Mike

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 29, 2005 10:34PM

This may help your browser to load pages faster, that is if you can do what you need to in text only mode. It will make a huge difference in how fast pages load if you don't load all the images.

Also if a vendor has a online catalog it will normally be in .pdf format and you can save to your PC and run it locally, much faster on that too. If that is the case you can open the catalog with adobe and have IE load the website without images and you will be cruising right along.

Below are instructions on how to turn off loading images. Hope this helps.

To turn off graphics to display all Web pages faster

On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Multimedia, clear one or more of the Show pictures, Play animations, Play videos, or Play sounds check boxes.
Notes

If the Show pictures or Play videos check box is cleared, you can still display an individual picture or animation on a Web page by right-clicking its icon, and then clicking Show Picture.
If the pictures on the current page are still visible after you clear the Show pictures check box, you can hide them by clicking the View menu, and then clicking Refresh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster