I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Andy Dear's cork
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dialup.netins.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 08:19AM

Do most of you folks that have used this cork apply Tru Oil to it or leave it as is? And, does Tru Oil darken it much?

Thanks
NT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Andy Dear's cork
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.dsl0-blvrtx.gvtc.com)
Date: May 27, 2005 10:06AM

I just applied some TruOil a few minutes ago to a grip made from Andy's cork. It darkens it a little bit, but not enough to take away from the contrast.

Bret

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 27, 2005 10:23AM

I use cork sealer on it; first, I tried Tru Oil and a day after putting it on when I reamed the grips to fit (3 grips for a split grip) they all darkened up terrible as the reaming and it's dust seemed to "get into" the Tru Oil. I tried scrubbing them, even with alcohol. No go. I wound up having to sand them down again and then I just used the cork sealer on them. I don't know if the Tru Oil takes more than a day to set up or exactly what happened, but I guess that doesn't matter to me anymore...

I did another split grip with this cork later and used cork seal and reamed them as before with no problems.

I didn't notice any darkening differences between Tru Oil and cork seal with Andy's cork; both did about the same. It's not very noticeable at all; just a slight darkening.

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2005 02:03PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 11:11AM

Most wood oil oils like Tru Oil or tounge oils well slightly darken. If you are not sure put a drp on some white paper and you can see a slight darker look when when looking in to the bubble.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 27, 2005 02:59PM

I use True Oil on Andy's cork and love it! Putter, you might want to leave the cork bare until it is totally finished. I always make Tru Oil the final step

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 27, 2005 03:18PM

I'll just stick with the cork sealer, Mike. Then I won't have to change those 24 year old habits. I always seal (especially regular cork) first so that no dirt, sweat, etc. can get into or onto the cork as I work with, people handle it, etc.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: May 27, 2005 04:30PM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use True Oil on Andy's cork and love it!
> Putter, you might want to leave the cork bare
> until it is totally finished. I always make Tru
> Oil the final step

This is what I did and I like the way it looks.

Posted by: John Dow (---.214.252.64.snet.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 10:10PM

I do the same as Mike , make the oil the last step on Andys cork , I think it brings out a bit more color . JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 07:55AM

I seal with cork sealer imediately and as a final act I use 3 coats of true oil, works great.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 28, 2005 02:49PM

Sam- Does this give a "shiney" finish to Andy's cork? Does it make the surface smoother, not so 'textured' feeling?

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.205.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: May 28, 2005 04:46PM

doesn't anybody just leave the exotic burl cork as is anymore????? ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 28, 2005 06:16PM

I guess that's why I just use the cork sealer, Eric. I can't tell it's even on there and it's not shiney. But I know that it's protected and anyone could clean it easier with the sealer on there. I don't want it to be slick and shiney, but that's just me.

I just put the sealer on for ease in care later on down the road; they'd have to use sandpaper to really get it clean without some sort of sealer, I think.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: May 28, 2005 08:42PM

fiddlesticks.. now I have to add Cork Sealer to my next order...

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 29, 2005 01:47AM

Neil,

It's all personal taste! Go with what you like.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster