I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finish problems
Posted by: david williams (65.67.215.---)
Date: May 26, 2005 04:15PM

(1) i am using flex coat lite when finish is applied it shys away from the thread in spots.
i had read one of the post that said the thread was contaminated and to wash it with alcohol
do i do this before the color preserver or before the finish or both?

(2) when i mix my finish i mix it in pastic mixing cup with the plastic handle of an old brush until
it is clear then pour it out on foil and blow on it to get rid of the bubbles. then make sure that my
brush is saturated before i start to apply the finish but still am having alot of bubbles appear
where are they coming from and how do i get rid of them or better yet not have them at all?
thanks for any advice yall can give to help me out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finish problems
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 26, 2005 04:32PM

Do not wash your thread with alcohol. Washing anything with a solvent just before gluing or finishing causes far more problems than it solves. Unless you've been handling it with your hands, a lot, your thread is not contaminated. Contamination gets the nod in far too many cases. It's a truly rare occurance and you really have to do something out of the ordinary to contaminate your thread.

Try applying your finish a bit heavier to make sure you're just not starving the surface for finish. Now if you have had your hands all over it (don't touch the thread, or allow anyone else to touch it, once you've made the wraps) then you may be faced with rewrapping, or, put a good wet coat of color preserver on it. That will usually seal in anything that might otherwise repel your finish.

You can get rid of bubbles by using a mechanized mixer as outlined in RodMaker. If you follow the instructions closely, you will have a 100% bubble free mix. Your brush causes bubbles and you can reduce them at that point by not brushing, but rather by using the brush as an applicator to apply finish as you rotate the rod underneath the brush. Don't brush it on.

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 08:12PM

Why do you use flex-coat light? IMO, flex-coat high build works better in all cases. I use a sealer coat of 50/50 flex-coat high build and MEK. Just paint it on, almost like CP, only takes a few minutes. Then after 24 hours, one coat of flex-coat high build goes on beautifully. I will probably get beat up again for mentioning MEK, but it makes my finishes much easier. John Butterfield

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 08:33PM

Nothing wrong with FC lite. I use lite on all my rods. Guess it's like the MEK, because I've learned to use it and it works for me. Have used most the other products at one time or another and always end up coming back to FC and sable brushes.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 11:40AM

There is nothing wrong with any of the epoxy finishes out there. They are all of great quality. David did you pack and burnish the threads before putting a finish on. Lightly packed threads at is well look blotchy when a finish is applied.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster