I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

All carbon blanks Purglas ??
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 10:48AM

Is there such a thing as an all carbon blank ? For surf fishing ?
Got some one looking at Purglas, all carbon surf rod ?
Any good

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: All carbon blanks Purglas ??
Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 01:39PM

A friend of a friend just started makeing some carbon fiber surf blanks. I test casted one a couple of months ago and was really impressed. It's based on the Allstar 1509 blank (9' tip section, 4' butt) with similar action and power. Two things really impressed me. They were able to keep the butt diameter small, small enough that a size 22 reel seat will fit (great if you like trigger seats!). Also, this thing had AMAZEING recovery. When you hit the cast and the rod unloaded, that was it. Absolutely NO vibration or tip waggle. The only place I'm aware of that is carrying these blanks is Hatteras Jacks in Rodanthe (Outer Banks).

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 03:21PM

Mudhole had some while I was there a couple months ago as well. Definitley a beautiful blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.65.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 08:43AM

But are they any good ?? Lighter then graphite ?Longer lasting then graphite ??

Date: May 28, 2005 12:07PM

See below

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2005 12:10PM by Phil Richmond.

Date: May 28, 2005 12:08PM

As far as I understand.... carbon and graphite are the exact same thing. Overseas especially, graphite is usually called carbon.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2005 02:43PM

Carbon Fiber is definately different from graphite.

Bill, the one I threw I liked very much. Was very lightweight for the power of the blank and casted very well. I think we'll be seeing more of these in the future.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: May 28, 2005 04:15PM

Clyde:

Not trying to start an argument, but would like for you to explain.

I lived in Japan and most of the other countries I've been to, they call graphite in fishing rods carbon. I've seen the same models sold in the states as graphite. They'll even break up the percentage of "carbon fiber" and other materials that are used in the blank, right on the package. You never see the term graphite used in Japan, everything's "carbon and carbon fiber" or "glass fiber".

I'm sure technically they are different, but Purglas being a South African based company, when they say "PURGLAS is equally at home using Carbon or Glass fibre reinforcement which is purchased from the worlds top producers and impregnaters of these materials.", I'd bet they are using what we call graphite, although from what I saw based on the lightness of the blanks, a very high quality graphite.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but this is my theory for what its worth.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.253.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 29, 2005 06:18AM

Thanks for all the info guys
But is there any place I can find out info -- for sure ? I also thought that they were calling graphite , carbon.
I checked out there site and wow, the hype is overwelming !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster