I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sand bass again
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 09:42AM

Hi guys
After reading about these fish and getting suggestions of using a medium heavy blank
Looking at the line and lure weight of them was wondering if it might be nicer or more fun to use a Medium instead. ? Do not have access to the owner or who will be using it.
What do ya think ? Looking at Loomis blanks.
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2005 09:58AM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sand bass again
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 10:08AM

if it's freshwater then you must be referring to white bass. A 2-pounder is a big one. I have never heard of anything along the TX coast (I think that's where you said the rod was going to be used) called a sand bass. There are sand trout (actually a weakfish) that don't get much over 3-pounds. I fish for both of these and would recommend something along the lines of a fast action - medium power....Loomis makes some nice popping rods in this configuration that would probably work great. The GL2 and GL3 (granite and mahogany) varieties aren't too terribly expensive.

Bret

Date: May 26, 2005 10:22AM

The GL3 was what I was looking at. Yes Texas.
I have seen weights from 2 all the way up too the record of 14 pounds, with the average of 5 pounds ??
That's why I was looking at the medium, the heavy looked a little stiff.
This is what I hate is getting the right blank, not talking to the owner is not a plus either.

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 10:55AM

White bass in the 5-14lb range are more likely hybrids (striper - white bass cross). I use a GL3 F-M poppin' rod along the TX coast for reds and trout. Any of them should work fine.

Bret

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 26, 2005 12:28PM

Bill,

If you are talking fresh water, in south Texas, they are called white bass and in north Texas and Oklahoma ttey are called Sand bass. Three pounds is an exceptionally big one. If this is the fish that your guy is tarketing something in a medium light or mediun would be better suited for these fish. They do hit hard and fight really hard for their size. Lot's of fun.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Date: May 26, 2005 12:51PM

Think you hit the nail on the head. Think that is just the fish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 02:22PM

I used my Loomis 2 power popping rods for white bass. They worked beautifully, throwing Roadrunners to these fish.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: May 27, 2005 12:26AM

Hi Bill,
I did fish the sand bass in Pacific Ocean harbors and inshore in Southern California a bunch and I liked a 6'6" IM8 I had for a long time. It was a production rod sold by Wallmart about ten years ago with the B.A.S.S. logo on it and had the Tri-Oval guides, is the best I can do for you. It was rated 8 to 17 and was a very good general purpose rod (always in my truck). Oh no, I said general purpose rod in a rod building forum, shame on me! I used it for bass, catfish, sand bass,calicos and with braided or mono line it was real sensitive.
Most of the sandies I caught were with plastics and jig hooks getting deep into the kelp and weeds.

If it would be the salty sandies anyways.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.65.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 27, 2005 07:13AM

I went with the Medium Loomis GL3 with the 8-14 line. Think it is 3/8 oz lure weight.
Now for thread colors ???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster