I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is one flame better than another.......????
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.r1.scrgwy.infoave.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 01:26PM

Is there a difference in say, a disposal lighter, or a torch, or an alcohol lamp.....
as far as soot and heat and finished product....???

I have used a disposable lighter to flame tag ends on wraps, and on the wrap finish to pop bubbles.
The results were less than stellar. A lot of soot, and actually burnt some of the finish and caused my trim wraps to turn dark.
I realize that I probably applied too much heat at too close of a distance, but, is one flame better than another.....????

Oh......and I found a better way to pop those bubbles.......which I picked up from this site.....and that is......just blow on them...(actually exhale)...I did this yesterday with very good results.....and no flame.

Thanks for any and all comments.
pb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2005 01:43PM by Pete Baldwin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is one flame better than another.......????
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2005 02:25PM

It's not the flame, but how you use it. You can easily do all you need to do with a butane cigarette lighter. And you won't burn or soot the finish or wraps if you'll keep the flame off to the side or at least 2 to 3 inches under the wrap. Keep it moving and rotate the rod as you're warming the finish. You won't soot anything unless you actually touch the flame to the wrap or the finish.

Alcohol lamps are often favored as having a "gentle" flame and less tendency to soot things. But again, you never actually want the flame to touch your finish or your wraps. And a very minimal amount of heat is really neccessary to release bubbles.

If you need to singe a tag end, put the protruding end at 90 degrees, and bring the flame in from the side of the wrap. Just quickly touch it and you should be fine. Or better yet, try to make the tie-offs without any protruding tag ends. I know it's hard and once in a while you just get one.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 03:29PM

Tom is right on. The Bic style lighters are very safe to use on a rod bench vs. the 'invisible' flame of an alcohol torch that can be forgotten and tipped over accidently with disastrous results.

Keep the Bic moving and keep it off to the side when warming finish.

Just touch it to the side of the wrap if trying to remove a tag end; or put the tag on the top of the rod and bring the lighter to it.

Even when warming to the side, if too much heat is used, it can do some goofy things to finish; all of which have to do with 'boiling' it.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: May 25, 2005 11:07AM

Use fingernail clippers and you won't have tag ends to worry about. I use a super high, super hot flame from a prophane torch directly on the finish, trick is, you have to keep it moving at all times.Jesse

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: May 26, 2005 03:26PM

I also use a propane torch. I don't worry about bubbles. When the epoxy job is finished, I flame the whole thing with a propane torch. You must keep it moving all the time and don't get too close. All bubbles go away and the finish smooths a bit. A good idea to practice first until you get the hang of it. I learned this from the best full time rod maker I have ever met. He makes the rods for J & M Tackle in Orange Beach, AL. Some of their rods go for close to $1,000. John Butterfield

burner
Posted by: David Sims (---.arach.net.au)
Date: May 26, 2005 04:06PM

I use a product which is a butane torch, which takes a canister that looks a lot like a disposable lighter, but is refillable. This is a great little tool and creates a nice blue torch flame and I got it from a camping store.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster