I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

When do you use a double wrap for guides"
Posted by: Doug Rouner (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 09:13PM

I am building a 7-6 popping rod mainly for light saltwater fishing. Line weights that I will end up using is 8-12# test. As far as wrapping the guides someone mentioned a double wrapped guide. I guess that is laying down a base and then the guide goes on that then a another wrap is done to secure the guide. Is that correct? Do I need to double wrap the guides in place? Or when do you do a double wrap?

Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When do you use a double wrap for guides"
Posted by: Greg Hileman (216.218.207.---)
Date: May 23, 2005 09:56PM

I never double wrap anything except for decoration when weight isn't an issue on the rod. So far, just on the kids spincasting rods. 8-12 lb test rods shouldn't need a double wrap if the feet are prepped right.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.177.49.175.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:06PM

Doug, For any light action rods I suggest a single wrap and be sure to use the Forhan locking wrap for strength. Forhan info in the library. Double wrap is exactly as you described, used for heavier rods. Good Luck!!! Ed

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:14PM

Doug,
When I first started building rods 20+ years ago I would make fancy under wraps on popping rods and double wrap the guides. I wound up with pretty rods but heavy ones. Now I make a single wrap on the guides and as short as possible. I want to have the lightest rod possible when fishing. I believe that Gary Loomis set the standard for light rods and blanks. After meeting him at a show one year, I started wanting to build my rods as light as possible. On my personal rods I may give up putting long butt wraps to cut down on the weight. You would be surprised how much difference an extra ounce or two can make after a long day of wade fishing or casting.

Date: May 23, 2005 10:18PM

I didn't answer your question. Use double wraps on surf and off shore rods. I also double wrap guides on heavy pier rods.

Date: May 23, 2005 10:18PM

I didn't answer your question. Use double wraps on surf and off shore rods. I also double wrap guides on heavy pier rods.

Posted by: Doug Rouner (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 23, 2005 10:25PM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will go with a single using the Forhan locking wrap.

Doug

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: May 24, 2005 10:38AM

What was mentioned above is not double wraping, thats putting down an underwrap and the a single layer of thread on top of the guide foot. Doublewrapping is laying down two layers of thread over the guide foot. I double wrap just about everything,probley 95% of my wraps have a metallic underwrap and black overwrap. If you do not doublewrap over the metallic it tends to shine through the single layer of thread. Jesse

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 24, 2005 11:59AM

Doug,

Since no really got into the strength issue plainly, I will.

Using overwraps (wrapping the blank, then placing the guides on top of that and wrapping the guides with a single layer if thread) is a cosmetic project. It isn't neccessary for strength. A properly prepared and wrapped single wrapped guide will be stronger than the blank up to and including the 150 pound class tackle. In fact, it's not even close. Some folks believe that you want an underwrap on very light rods, to protect the BLANK, but if you properly prepare the guide feet, this isn't neccessary.

Same goes for 'double wrapping' the guide feet, either over an underwrap or not. Cosmetic, as Jesse mentioned, this can keep underwraps from showing through.

All of this leaves out rod abuse and such. For rods that are banged about quite a bit, or tend to be mistreated, double wrapping would, on it's surface, seem to add some stength and durability. Still, a guide being bent or broken can't be protected by the wraps, regardless of how many, since what tends to bend or break is ABOVE the wraps anyway. Seems to me, since doublewraps don't make the functioning area of the rod better, unless you want them for cosmetics, leave them off, even or maybe especially, on rods that take too much abuse. Makes it take longer to REPAIR them.

Certainly don't use stuch things on rods where casting performance is an issue.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: May 25, 2005 10:25PM

I guess different people use different meanings for similar terms. In my area a 'double' wrap refers to an underwrap and single guide wrap...as is the case in this post. A double guide wrap combined with an underwrap, as Jesse describes, is called a 'triple' wrap. Like I said, this is just how the terms are used in MY area. That would be like me going to florida and calling their 'bonita' a false albacore (which it is by the way..lol). Same fish but different name.

In reality I would guess an underwrap doesn't really protect the blank much at all...maybe I'm wrong. Even with that said I usually incorperate underwraps on most saltwater rods 30# and up. Underwraps do add another element of color and/or design to the overall rod. On light rods the performance loss would most likely outweigh any benefit of design you'd get from an underwrap.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster